Why is the sum of 1/(n(n+k)) convergent when k>1?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
godtripp
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
[tex]\sum\frac{1}{n(n+k)}[/tex] from n=1 to infinity

find that the series is convergent and find it's sum.

Now I'm a bit confused... I can show it's convergent with k=1
and I attempted the same thing with k by breaking this into partial fractions. But I'm given a harmonic series that is divergent minus another divergent series... how can this be convergent?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, let's look at the series [tex]\sum{\frac{k}{n(n+k)}[/tex] instead. You are probably aware that you can split this in partial fractions:

[tex]\frac{k}{n(n+k)}=\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+k}[/tex]

Now it's not immediately clear what happens if you sum the above series. Try taking k=2 and write 10 terms of the above series. You will see that a lot of terms vanish. This will give you an idea for the general proof...
 
Thank you micromass, I'll try expanding that out as soon as I get home. I'm sure it'll telescope out... there is one thing driving me nuts however.

[tex]\sum 1/n[/tex] is a harmonic series... which is divergent.

I'm not sure about [tex]\sum 1/(n+k)[/tex]

since series have the property that [tex]\sum (a-b)[/tex]=[tex]\sum a[/tex] - [tex]\sum b[/tex]

how is it that the difference between a divergent series and a convergent (or divergent series) results in a convergent series?
 
Well, for one thing, the series [tex]\sum{\frac{1}{n+k}}[/tex] is divergent.

But that aside, you state the equality

[tex]\sum(a_n-b_n)=\sum a_n - \sum b_n[/tex]

This statement is INCORRECT. This is only correct is both sequences are convergent. Thus this equality is not applicable in this case.