Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does The Subject Make The Photograph?

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1
    Does The Subject "Make" The Photograph?

There are a lot of photography buffs here so I think it's a good place to ask people's opinions on what "makes" an effective photograph. Is it the subject or the photographer?

Someone I was talking with proposed that the subject is, at least, 50% responsible for the effectiveness of an effective photograph, literally such that, in the case of a human portrait, the subject should be entitled to 50% of any profit from any sale of the photo, not for reasons of the rights to how their image is used, but due to their appearance constituting an artistic contribution to the image. He developed this argument by saying that this contribution consisted, not of direct artistic input, but in having "influenced" the photographer.

That notion came up in conjunction with an image of a person with tattoos and piercings and a particular hairstyle. The person making these arguments asserted that the effectiveness of the image was 50% due to the subject having cultivated a particular "look". He argued that her "look" is what made the photo interesting, therefore she deserved 50% of the credit and profit, if things were only fair, for having "influenced" the photographer to photograph her.

When I raised the question of how much artistic influence we should ascribe to, say, a flower, when an effective photo of that flower has been produced, this person asserted that, indeed, the flower should be acknowledged as having influenced the photograph by 50%.

What do all you photographers think?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Re: Does The Subject "Make" The Photograph?

It requires both. There are tons great photographs out there in the world, waiting for a photographer to capture them.

4. Apr 8, 2009 #3

If the photograph sucks, is it the subject's fault?

5. Apr 8, 2009 #4

Danger

Gold Member

As far as I can determine from my personal perception of photos, it comes down to the photographer's feelings. I've seen some technically lousy shots that conveyed incredible emotion and an understanding of the scene. Conversely, I've seen a lot of shots by professional photogs that were a total waste of paper. Art is in the eye of the beholder.

6. Apr 8, 2009 #5

This is why I didn't try to further define "effective" when referring to an "effective photograph". If two people agree it's effective they can discuss it between themselves as such.

Can you elaborate on what you mean when you say it comes down to the photographer's feelings?

7. Apr 8, 2009 #6

Danger

Gold Member

I can try, but I don't think that I can actually do it. It's too subjective. You are an artist; I am not, so you shouldn't be asking me.
    What I'm thinking is that an artistic photographer feels a scene and snaps it with a disposable Kodak if that's all that he has on hand. That can evoke more emotion in a viewer than an identical staged shot taken by a pro with $10,000 worth of Canon equipment.
    This is not in any way meant to put down professional photographers who do awesome work. They all bring beauty to our world.

8. Apr 8, 2009 #7

Would it be safe to say, in applying what you've said to my original question, that your opinion is that the effectiveness of an effective photograph is primarily the product of the photographers instincts and aesthetics?

The issue is subject versus photographer. Lemme ask the inverse of what I asked Russ: is there a subject so good it is photographer-proof?

9. Apr 8, 2009 #8

matthyaouw

Gold Member

This is what model release forms are for. They are a contract between the model and photographer setting out how the image may be used, sold etc. A lot of photographers don't like to work without them and could find themselves in a rather awkward situation if they didn't and a model objected to use of a photo, demadned more money etc...

Does she have to split her 50% with her tattooist and piercer, who must be equally responsible for the creation of her look as she is?

Seriously though, interesting question, It's the kind of thing I have thought about in the past. I'll input my thoughts when I'm not about to be late for work.

10. Apr 8, 2009 #9

Yes, but the issue is whether a photographer should remotely consider signing a release in which the subject wants a 50% credit for "influencing" the photographer and a resultant 50% financial cut.

Now you're getting a whiff of the stink here. And not just the piercer, shouldn't the inventor of the eyebrow jewelry or lip ring get a royalty? What about the manufacturer of her clothes?

11. Apr 8, 2009 #10

Danger

Gold Member

To the first question, I think that the answer is yes, conditional upon that instinct resonating with the audience.
    To the second, there are limits of course. Would that unforgettable shot of the little girl running from a village in Viet Nam have been less effective had it been taken a few seconds sooner or later? Probably, but the overall impact would still have been there. It could have been taken with a Kodak Brownie, and still emotionally touch the viewers.

12. Apr 8, 2009 #11

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Personally, I think it's only the photographer. I have to say that those who say both, or the subject, are wrong.

Professional photographers know how to make great pictures out of bad subjects. A small example of that is wedding photos. If pay for a good photographer, you're basically guaranteed fantastic pictures.

13. Apr 8, 2009 #12

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, if she's very attractive and naked, that should do it.

14. Apr 8, 2009 #13

http://massthink.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/ut-vietnam-girl.jpg [Broken]

As you can see, the photo actually gains in impact for being somewhat unsharp and grainy in that this contributes to the sense of panic, danger, and violence. Shows with "gritty" subject matter (take NYPD Blue) are deliberately filmed to manifest an overly grainy image and hand held camera effects for this very reason. (Also used a lot in the battles in Saving Private Ryan.) A Kodak Brownie, with it's much larger negative size and fixed focus lens would almost certainly have produced a better image, given the same steadiness of hold. 35mm's would be preferable to the Brownie under battle conditions because you can get more shots per roll and advance the film much more quickly, not because you can get better pictures.

As for timing, the photographer really caught a dramatic composition and the expressions on the girl and boy's faces could probably not be more horrified.

I expect this shot was selected by the photographer, Nick Ut, from the series clicked in sequence, and that there are shots from the seconds before and after:

http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0008/ng2.htm

There, too, you'll see a shot of her getting treated, which has nothing whatever like the impact of the famous shot despite the subject matter being no less horrifying in principle.

Taken altogether, it's a monumentally great photograph and probably contributed more than any other single thing to Americans withdrawing their support for that war. It seems when you look at the photo that it's inevitable, that anyone standing there could have taken it, but in fact, of the three professional photographers there, Nick Ut was the only one who did: "Nicky, you got all the photos," said David Burnett."

However, all that is digression since that picture falls squarely into the category of photojournalism and I'm more interested in the situation of a voluntary model and photography that's going to be presented as photography, per se.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  15. Apr 8, 2009 #14

I would say that the quality of the photograph depends upon the photographer. A subject could theoretically "make" the photo but it depends on the photographer's skill just how much the subject contributed versus the photographer. I would say this is why certain photographers get more for their photos. Generally a photographer pays a model a certain amount for their services in anticipation of how well the photos will sell. Esentially the value of the model's contribution is determined in advance.

16. Apr 8, 2009 #15

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

There are benefits to photographic non-human subjects. :biggrin:

The issue of rights and contract has been addressed, so it's not necessar to repeat.

I don't if the person being photographed is entitled to 50% of revenue or royalties, but perhaps it depends on whether or not the person is the subject of the photograph, which would the be the basis of negotiation about terms of the release. If the photographer is lucky, he gets a release without any requirement for compensation or royalty, or he pays a one time affordable amount.

As for subject vs photographer effect on the quality of the photograph, it's probably a combination of both. The subject is what it is, but the photographer chooses the setting (and background), lighting intensity and type (sun, overcast, natural, mercury vapor, tungsten lamp, . . . . ), depth of field, focus, proportions (closeup, distant, . . .), orientation of subject (full frontal, 3/4, 1/2, profile, . . . ), . . . .

I've taken some interesting subjects, but for one reason or another, the lighting was poor, the focus wasn't quite right, . . . , and so the quality of the image wasn't good. For a photograph (film), the quality extends to the type of paper (graininess, glossy vs matte, etc).

17. Apr 8, 2009 #16

Well known supermodel, Albert Einstein in the hands of a great photographer:

einstein.jpg

Same supermodel, lousy photographer:

albert_einstein_2.jpg

Einstein didn't make the first photo great and he can't make the second photo not suck. Regardless, someone might pay more than peanuts for the rights to the second photo simply because it is Einstein.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  18. Apr 8, 2009 #17

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Photographers don't simply get one shot anymore. They take hundreds, so if the subject is bad at any particular moment, that's fine. Just take a dozen more.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  19. Apr 8, 2009 #18

It boils down to this, no? Someone may assert a given subject is inherently interesting, but it is completely in the hands of the photographer whether or not this in apparent in the photograph. You look at a thing and it seems inevitably photogenic, but it isn't. We know this from the horrible shots of very attractive people often seen on the front pages of tabloids, if from nothing else.

20. Apr 8, 2009 #19

That's true, but the point of those two pictures is to demonstrate that the first photographer really understood how to light and pose Einstein, while the second had no apparent feel for the subject or the photograph as portait in general and Einstein could not "make" that second shot not suck.

When I first got my digital camera I once took well over a hundred shots of a very cute girl without getting one good one. She looked uncomfortable and self conscious, and not particularly well lit in all of them. Later, after many more subjects and experimentation, I started getting a clue.

21. Apr 8, 2009 #20

Danger

Gold Member

Sorry; I misunderstood the parameters of the original post. The only reason that I mentioned the Viet Nam example is because out of the hundreds of thousands of photographs that I've seen in my life, that image is the only one that has never vacated my head. (No, wait, there's one other; the students on the lawn at the Kent State massacre.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook