Does this serial dilution question make sense?

In summary: Please provide a valid questionIn summary, a sample with a concentration of 1x106 bacteria/ml was diluted down to a single bacterium/ml and plated onto an agar dish. After incubating for two weeks, 122 colonies were counted. The question about the percentage of viable bacteria in the initial sample is unclear and may have incorrect numbers.
Kalibasa
"You have a sample with a concentration of 1x106 bacteria/ml and you wish to know how many of these bacteria are viable. You dilute the sample down to a single bacterium/ml and plate 100 microliters of this diluted sample onto an agar dish. After incubating the dish for two weeks you count 122 colonies. What percentage of the bacteria in the initial sample were viable?"

The number at the beginning is supposed to be the total number of bacteria in the sample, including dead and damaged cells (i.e. the number of bacteria you would get from physically counting the sample). But can you talk about a "total" number of bacteria in a sample like this, or does the number of bacteria we assign to samples always refer automatically to the number of viable bacteria?

I'm just trying to figure out the standards on these kind of questions...

Thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
Maybe I am misreading the question, but it appears very odd. The way I figure, you are plating (on average) 0.1 of a single bacterium, so your sample size is too small to make any statistical generalization.

Must be one of those trick questions where the answer is contamination. :tongue:

...probably a typo?

BoomBoom said:
...probably a typo?

I would assume so also. Otherwise I'd agree that you're measuring contamination, not actual bacteria in your sample. That, or it was a really poorly mixed dilution. :uhh:

How can you get 122 colonies out of 0.1 bacterium? As mentioned above, there is something wrong with the numbers in the initial question.

1. What is a serial dilution?

A serial dilution is a laboratory technique used to decrease the concentration of a substance in a solution. This is done by repeatedly diluting the original solution with a solvent or buffer.

2. How is a serial dilution performed?

To perform a serial dilution, a small amount of the original solution is mixed with a larger amount of solvent or buffer. This diluted solution is then used to create subsequent dilutions until the desired concentration is reached.

3. Why is serial dilution important in scientific research?

Serial dilution is important in scientific research because it allows for precise control of the concentration of a substance in a solution. This is especially useful when working with substances that are highly concentrated or toxic.

4. How do I know if my serial dilution question makes sense?

A serial dilution question makes sense if it clearly states the starting concentration, dilution factor, and final concentration desired. It should also specify the volume of each dilution and the number of dilutions to be performed.

5. Can a serial dilution be used to increase the concentration of a substance?

No, a serial dilution is used to decrease the concentration of a substance. To increase the concentration, a process known as serial concentration is used, where small volumes of a more concentrated solution are added to a larger volume of solvent.