Calculating the Original Concentration of Bacteria

In summary, the speaker is unsure of how to determine the original concentration of bacteria for their experiment. They describe a process of making serial dilutions and inoculating onto agar to obtain a plate count of 30 colonies. They then share an equation for calculating the original concentration, but note that it should be (0.1)(2) rather than (10)(2). They request for someone to check their calculations.
higherme
I am not really sure how to find the original concentration of bacteria for my experiment.

This is what i did:
I made serial dilutions of 10^-2, 10^-4,10^-6, 10^-8 with stock bacteria.
From 10^-4 dilution, I took out 2ml and inoculated into 20g potatoes + 180g buffer. Potatoes + buffer + inoculum were homogenized. Then I took 0.1 ml from the homogenate and plate onto agar.

If i want to find the original concentration in my stock bacteria, is this what I do:

plate count = 30 colonies

(30 x 10^4) / (10)(2)
= 1.45x10^6 cfu/ml

can someone check if my calculations are correct? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
the equation should actually read:

(30 x 10^4) / (0.1)(2)
= 1.45 x 10^6 cfu/ml

I can confirm that your calculations for finding the original concentration of bacteria are correct. By performing serial dilutions and plating on agar, you were able to determine the concentration of bacteria in your sample. Your formula, which takes into account the dilution factor and the number of colonies counted, is a standard method for calculating bacterial concentration. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of your results depends on the accuracy of your dilutions and plating technique. It may also be useful to repeat your experiment multiple times to ensure consistency and accuracy. Overall, your approach to finding the original concentration of bacteria in your experiment is valid and your calculations are correct.

1)

What is the formula for calculating the original concentration of bacteria?

The formula for calculating the original concentration of bacteria is: Original Concentration = (Final Concentration x Dilution Factor) / Volume of Sample

2)

What is the importance of calculating the original concentration of bacteria?

Calculating the original concentration of bacteria is important in several ways. It helps to determine the initial number of bacteria present in a sample, which can be used to track the growth or decline of bacteria over time. This information is crucial in fields such as medicine, food safety, and environmental science.

3)

How do you determine the dilution factor?

The dilution factor is determined by dividing the volume of the original sample by the volume of the final diluted sample. For example, if you dilute 1 mL of a sample in 9 mL of water, the dilution factor would be 1:10.

4)

What is the difference between a serial dilution and a simple dilution?

A serial dilution involves a step-wise dilution of a sample, where each step decreases the concentration of the sample. This is used when the initial concentration of bacteria is too high to accurately count. A simple dilution, on the other hand, is a one-step dilution and is used when the initial concentration is within a countable range.

5)

How do you determine the final concentration of bacteria after a dilution?

To determine the final concentration of bacteria after a dilution, you need to count the number of colonies on a plate from the diluted sample and use this number to calculate the colony-forming units (CFU) per mL. This value can then be used to calculate the original concentration of bacteria using the formula mentioned in the first question.