Doesn't the atom in ground state radiate?

Unacceptable reference deleted

Main Question or Discussion Point

According to textbooks, an atom in ground state doesn't radiate. Yet I got some other idea after reading Wu Ta-you's theoretical physics book. I hold the viewpoint that the atom does radiate, and at the same time it absorbs energy from heat radiation in its environment. The energy it radiates out and absorbs in balance. Am I correct or am I wrong? I eagerly appreciate everyone's reply. (For details, please visit <deleted>)

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
The site you linked to is full of nonsense. Believe your textbooks.

Likes BvU
Thanks for your reply, though it wasn't what I expected.
Don't you think in a real world, the atom will absorb energy from the heat radiation in its environment?

An atom in the ground state can absorb energy from the environment including thermal radiation. Once it has done so it will be excited and will no longer be in the ground state. An excited atom can radiate and go to a lower energy state, but an atom in the ground state cannot radiate since there is no lower energy state.

We do not discuss topics that are outside the professional scientific literature, so we cannot discuss the incorrect theory in your deleted link. Thread closed.

Likes BvU