Is the potential energy always negative in the ground state of a hydrogen atom?

In summary: This would allow for finite potential wells with negative energy eigenvalues in any dimension, even if the potential is nonzero within the well.I just realized that I made an error in the above post. The finite potential well with rounded corners does not allow negative energy eigenvalues in all dimensions. It does allow bound states with negative energy in 3D, but the energy eigenvalues are positive in 1D and 2D.It turns out that there is a finite potential well that allows for negative energy eigenvalues in all dimensions. The potential is$$V(x_1 ,\dots ,x_n ) = V_0 \prod_{k=1}^n \left( 1 - \left( \frac{2
LagrangeEuler
Why energy of the electron in ground state of hydrogen atom is negative ##E_1=-13,6 \rm{eV}##? I am confused because energy is sum of kinetic and potential energy. Kinetic energy is always positive. How do you know that potential energy is negative in this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
LagrangeEuler said:
Why energy of the electron in ground state of hydrogen atom is negative ##E_1=-13,6 \rm{eV}##? I am confused because energy is sum of kinetic and potential energy. Kinetic energy is always positive. How do you know that potential energy is negative in this problem?
That value assumes the standard convention that the PE at infinity is zero. In any case, the point at which energy is zero is arbitrary.

Likes vanhees71
LagrangeEuler said:
As @PeroK said, this refers to the convention that the energy is 0 when the electron is far from the proton. When the electron starts far away (unbound) and then goes to the ground state it releases 13.6 eV of energy. Conversely, if the electron starts in the ground state and then is pulled far away from the proton it requires 13.6 eV of energy. This indicates that the energy of the ground state is 13.6 eV lower than the energy of the unbound state. So if the latter is by convention set to 0 then the former must be -13.6 eV

Likes dextercioby, odietrich and vanhees71
hilbert2 said:
And, any potential well with ##V(\mathbf{r})<0##, no matter how shallow, will have at least one bound state with a negative energy eigenvalue.
Really?

DrClaude said:
Really?

If you create potential energy functions like

##V(x)=-C\exp\left(-kx^2 \right)##

or

##V(x,y)=-C\exp\left(-k_x x^2 - k_y y^2 \right)##

with ##C>0##, ##k_x >0## and ##k_y >0##, which have a negative value for any ##x## or ##(x,y)##, they should have a negative-energy bound state no matter how small ##C## is. Isn't this what is meant in the linked article?

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/253032187_Criteria_for_bound-state_solutions_in_quantum_mechanics

hilbert2 said:
If you create potential energy functions like

##V(x)=-C\exp\left(-kx^2 \right)##

or

##V(x,y)=-C\exp\left(-k_x x^2 - k_y y^2 \right)##

with ##C>0##, ##k_x >0## and ##k_y >0##, which have a negative value for any ##x## or ##(x,y)##, they should have a negative-energy bound state no matter how small ##C## is. Isn't this what is meant in the linked article?

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/253032187_Criteria_for_bound-state_solutions_in_quantum_mechanics
I haven't checked the article, but the statement above is markedly different from the one you made in post #4:
hilbert2 said:
And, any potential well with ##V(\mathbf{r})<0##, no matter how shallow, will have at least one bound state with a negative energy eigenvalue.
There are plenty of potentials well shapes for which there is a minimum depth below which there is no bound state.

Then, I should have stated it as

##V(\mathbf{r}) < 0## for all ##\mathbf{r}=(x_1 ,x_2 ,\dots ,x_n ) \in \mathbb{R}^n##

Or maybe you mean a potential that has the kind of negative infinity somewhere that causes a "falling to center" problem?

Last edited:
hilbert2 said:
Then, I should have stated it as

##V(\mathbf{r}) < 0## for all ##\mathbf{r}=(x_1 ,x_2 ,\dots ,x_n ) \in \mathbb{R}^n##

Or maybe you mean a potential that has the kind of negative infinity somewhere that causes a "falling to center" problem?
I don't see what you are getting at. While one-dimensional attractive potentials always have at least one bound state, this is not true in higher dimensions. For instance, one can show that the spherical well
$$
V(r) = \left\{ \begin{array}{ll} -V_0 & r < a \\ 0 & r>a \end{array} \right.
$$
has no bound states for ##V_0 a^2 < \pi^2 \hbar􏰠^2/8m##.

DrClaude said:
I don't see what you are getting at. While one-dimensional attractive potentials always have at least one bound state, this is not true in higher dimensions. For instance, one can show that the spherical well
$$
V(r) = \left\{ \begin{array}{ll} -V_0 & r < a \\ 0 & r>a \end{array} \right.
$$
has no bound states for ##V_0 a^2 < \pi^2 \hbar􏰠^2/8m##.

Can you give a reference where this is proved? Sorry for causing confusion if I gave incorrect information.

Edit: Ok, it was as easy to find as this: https://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/node227.html

Likes DrClaude
DrClaude said:
Really?
I don't remember by heart now, how it is in 3 dimensions. I think, there's an answer in the textbook by Messiah, but I don't have the book at hand now either :-(.

vanhees71 said:
I don't remember by heart now, how it is in 3 dimensions. I think, there's an answer in the textbook by Messiah, but I don't have the book at hand now either :-(.

Some old edition of that book is readable in Archive.org

https://archive.org/details/QuantumMechanicsVolumeI/mode/2up

https://archive.org/details/QuantumMechanicsVolumeIi/mode/2up

Likes vanhees71
So, I guess that an n-dimensional hypercube potential well, with ##V(x_1 ,\dots ,x_n )=V_0## when any of ##|x_k |## is greater than ##L/2## and otherwise ##V (x_1 ,\dots ,x_n )=0##, always has a bound state no matter how close to zero the positive number ##V_0## is. This is because the 3D eigenfunctions are just products of the solutions of the equivalent 1-dimensional problem.

A fun problem to consider would be to make a finite potential well where the region with ##V(x_1 ,\dots ,x_n ) = 0## is a hypercube with rounded corners, i.e. an intersection of a hypercube with side length ##L## and a sphere with radius ##L/2 \leq R \leq \sqrt{n}L/2##.

1. What is the ground state of a hydrogen atom?

The ground state of a hydrogen atom is the lowest energy state that an electron can occupy within the atom. It is also known as the n=1 energy level, where the electron is closest to the nucleus.

2. How is the ground state of a hydrogen atom calculated?

The ground state of a hydrogen atom is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the potential energy of the electron due to its attraction to the nucleus and its kinetic energy due to its motion around the nucleus.

3. What is the energy of the ground state of a hydrogen atom?

The energy of the ground state of a hydrogen atom is -13.6 eV (electron volts). This is the lowest energy level that an electron can occupy in a hydrogen atom.

4. How does the ground state of a hydrogen atom differ from its excited states?

The ground state is the lowest energy state of a hydrogen atom, while excited states are higher energy states that the electron can occupy. In an excited state, the electron is further from the nucleus and has more energy.

5. What is the significance of the ground state in understanding the behavior of atoms?

The ground state is important because it is the starting point for understanding the behavior of atoms. By studying the ground state and how electrons move between energy levels, we can gain a better understanding of chemical reactions, atomic spectra, and other properties of atoms.