Dog Colors (an inductive proof)

• Thread starter thenava
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: I think I have a proof for n=2 now. In summary, the flaw in the argument is that dogs of different colors can exist within the same set.
thenava
I didn't really know where else to post this, it has a set, so I figured here would be the best place. The question is to find the flaw in this argument.

Claim: In every set of n dogs, all dogs have the same color.
Proof: By induction on n.

Basis: Take n = 1. In every set containing one dog, all dogs in that set must have the same color.

Inductive Step: Assume that in every set of digs with n dogs, all dogs in that set have the same color. We will show that in every set of dogs with n + 1 elements, all dogs in that set have the same color. Let D be a set consisting of the dogs d1, d2, ..., dn, dn+1. Let D1 be the subset of D consisting of d1, d2, d3, ..., dn and let D2 be the subset of D consisting of d2, d3, ..., dn, dn+1. D1 and D2 are sets with n dogs each. Hence, by the inductive hypothesis, all dogs in D1 have the same color, and all dogs in D2 have the same color. Since D1 and D2 share d2 as an element, we conclude that all dogs in D have the same color, that of d2.

I have two ideas as to why this may be false:

1. The inductive hypothesis is improperly stated, and therefore the proof is false.
2. The proof only states that d2 is a common element between both sets, therefore all must be the same color as d2. However, d3, d4, ..., and dn are also common to both sets, and the induction could be done on either of those dogs. If d2 is brown and d5 is white, all the dogs would have to be both brown and white, and therefore the proof fails.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could verify my arguments or point any flaws in my arguments. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the usual name for this is "all horses are the same color", if you need to Google for it.

thenava said:
I have two ideas as to why this may be false:

1. The inductive hypothesis is improperly stated, and therefore the proof is false.
2. The proof only states that d2 is a common element between both sets, therefore all must be the same color as d2. However, d3, d4, ..., and dn are also common to both sets, and the induction could be done on either of those dogs. If d2 is brown and d5 is white, all the dogs would have to be both brown and white, and therefore the proof fails.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could verify my arguments or point any flaws in my arguments. Thanks!

The base assumption is correct.

The problem with the inductive step is not that there are elements beside d_2 in common, but that d_2 may not be in common (if n = 1). If the assumption held for n = 2 dogs (it doesn't) then it would hold for any n.

Your inductive step is valid only for n>1.
So, your first step should be the proof for n=2.

Hey thanks for the help CRGreathouse, and Rogerio.

1. What is an inductive proof?

An inductive proof is a type of mathematical or scientific proof that uses observations or examples to make a generalization about a larger set of data. It involves starting with specific instances and then using patterns or trends to arrive at a general conclusion.

2. How does inductive reasoning apply to dog colors?

In the context of dog colors, an inductive proof would involve observing a certain number of dogs and their color patterns, and then using that information to make a general statement about the colors found in the entire population of dogs.

3. Can inductive reasoning be used to prove all dog colors?

No, inductive reasoning can only provide a probabilistic argument for a general statement, it cannot prove something with absolute certainty. This means that while it can be used to support a hypothesis about dog colors, it cannot prove that all dog colors exist based on a limited set of observations.

4. What are some limitations of using an inductive proof for dog colors?

Inductive reasoning relies heavily on the quality and quantity of data and observations used. If the sample size is too small or the data is biased, the conclusion drawn may not accurately represent the entire population. Additionally, inductive reasoning cannot account for every possible scenario and may not be able to explain rare or outlier cases.

5. How can inductive proofs be useful in understanding dog colors?

Inductive proofs can be useful in understanding dog colors by providing a starting point for further research and exploration. By making general statements about dog colors based on observations, researchers can then conduct more rigorous studies to confirm or refute these statements. Inductive reasoning can also help identify patterns and trends in dog colors, which can then inform breeding practices and genetic studies.