Dog saves owner with modified Heimlich

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

...The next think I know, Toby's up on his hind feet and he's got his front paws on my shoulders," she recalled. "He pushed me to the ground, and once I was on my back, he began jumping up and down on my chest."
[continued]
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17819432/

Later, with his tail between his legs, Toby admitted that he was actually attempting to perform a precordial thump, but got confused.

Answers and Replies

It takes real prints to dislodge an apple.

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
After the event, the owner said she was thankful to be alive, and "feeling a little hoarse". But the story was clearly about a dog...

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ember must be taking the pet First Aid course too, since she has practiced this on a few mornings. But, being a bit lighter than Toby, she uses a modified approach of leaping from the headboard directly onto my stomach. :bugeye:

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Pet first aid eh?

Do they get trained to use defurrbrillators?

Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I misread the title of this thread and thought the owner saved the dog with a modified heimlich, not the other way around. I was about to post and say:
-
I'd do the same for my dog.
-
No one would post in the next half hour because you'd all be laughing uncontrollably.

Well my dog did try a modified hindlick once, but she just couldnt seem to reach.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Pet first aid eh?

Do they get trained to use defurrbrillators?
[groan]

Well my dog did try a modified hindlick once, but she just couldnt seem to reach.
[groan again]

:rofl: Darn it, you know I'm a sucker for bad jokes! :rofl:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ember must be taking the pet First Aid course too, since she has practiced this on a few mornings. But, being a bit lighter than Toby, she uses a modified approach of leaping from the headboard directly onto my stomach. :bugeye:
This behavior is strongly correlated to multiple viewings of the movie Alien.

After the event, the owner said she was thankful to be alive, and "feeling a little hoarse". But the story was clearly about a dog...

Bravo! :biggrin:

radou
Homework Helper
"But a dog's got personality. And personality goes a long way."

An appropriate quote.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The dog didn't know how to do the Heimlich. I don't get all the hype. :zzz:

The truth is that the dog had to call 911, tell the operator about the situation, then the operator explained the Heimlich, and then the dog did the Heimlich to save the life of its owner. The dog is totally over-rated. :rolleyes: The operator had to tell him what to do. :rolleyes:

Mk
The dog didn't know how to do the Heimlich. I don't get all the hype. :zzz:
Yeah, I think she was just lucky. He jumped on her and walked on her. Not like the dog could consciously intend to dislodge and object from her throat.

cronxeh
Gold Member
Later, with his tail between his legs, Toby admitted that he was actually attempting to perform a precordial thump, but got confused.
that made me :rofl:

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Yeah, I think she was just lucky. He jumped on her and walked on her. Not like the dog could consciously intend to dislodge and object from her throat.
You didn't get the joke.

Did you read the whole post?