Dog saves owner with modified Heimlich

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the next thing the owner knows, Toby's up on his hind feet and he's got his front paws on her shoulders," she recalled. "He pushed me to the ground, and once I was on my back, he began jumping up and down on my chest." After the dog jumped on her and started jumping, the owner was able to push him off and call 911. When the operator got on the phone, she explained what was going on and the dog did the Heimlich to dislodge the apple.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...The next think I know, Toby's up on his hind feet and he's got his front paws on my shoulders," she recalled. "He pushed me to the ground, and once I was on my back, he began jumping up and down on my chest."
[continued]
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17819432/

Later, with his tail between his legs, Toby admitted that he was actually attempting to perform a precordial thump, but got confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
It takes real prints to dislodge an apple.

After the event, the owner said she was thankful to be alive, and "feeling a little hoarse". But the story was clearly about a dog...

Ember must be taking the pet First Aid course too, since she has practiced this on a few mornings. But, being a bit lighter than Toby, she uses a modified approach of leaping from the headboard directly onto my stomach. :bugeye:

Pet first aid eh?

Do they get trained to use defurrbrillators?

I misread the title of this thread and thought the owner saved the dog with a modified heimlich, not the other way around. I was about to post and say:
-
I'd do the same for my dog.
-
No one would post in the next half hour because you'd all be laughing uncontrollably.

Well my dog did try a modified hindlick once, but she just couldn't seem to reach.

brewnog said:
Pet first aid eh?

Do they get trained to use defurrbrillators?
[groan]

hypatia said:
Well my dog did try a modified hindlick once, but she just couldn't seem to reach.

[groan again]

:rofl: Darn it, you know I'm a sucker for bad jokes! :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Ember must be taking the pet First Aid course too, since she has practiced this on a few mornings. But, being a bit lighter than Toby, she uses a modified approach of leaping from the headboard directly onto my stomach. :bugeye:

This behavior is strongly correlated to multiple viewings of the movie Alien.

brewnog said:
After the event, the owner said she was thankful to be alive, and "feeling a little hoarse". But the story was clearly about a dog...

Bravo! :biggrin:

"But a dog's got personality. And personality goes a long way."

An appropriate quote.

The dog didn't know how to do the Heimlich. I don't get all the hype. :zzz:

The truth is that the dog had to call 911, tell the operator about the situation, then the operator explained the Heimlich, and then the dog did the Heimlich to save the life of its owner. The dog is totally over-rated. :rolleyes: The operator had to tell him what to do. :rolleyes:

JasonRox said:
The dog didn't know how to do the Heimlich. I don't get all the hype. :zzz:
Yeah, I think she was just lucky. He jumped on her and walked on her. Not like the dog could consciously intend to dislodge and object from her throat.

Later, with his tail between his legs, Toby admitted that he was actually attempting to perform a precordial thump, but got confused.

that made me :rofl:

Mk said:
Yeah, I think she was just lucky. He jumped on her and walked on her. Not like the dog could consciously intend to dislodge and object from her throat.

You didn't get the joke.

Did you read the whole post?

1. How did the dog perform the modified Heimlich maneuver?

The dog was trained to perform the modified Heimlich maneuver by its owner. This involved teaching the dog to use its paws to apply pressure to the owner's abdomen in case of choking.

2. How did the dog know that its owner was choking?

Dogs have a strong sense of smell and can detect changes in their owner's breathing patterns. In this case, the dog noticed that its owner was struggling to breathe and immediately took action.

3. Has this type of dog rescue happened before?

There have been several reported cases of dogs performing the modified Heimlich maneuver to save their owners from choking. However, each situation is unique and not all dogs are trained to perform this technique.

4. Is the modified Heimlich maneuver safe for dogs to perform?

The modified Heimlich maneuver is generally considered safe for dogs to perform on humans. However, it is important for the dog to be trained properly and for the owner to remain calm and still during the rescue.

5. Can dogs be trained to perform other types of first aid?

Yes, dogs can be trained to perform various types of first aid, including CPR and retrieving medication. However, it is important for the training to be conducted by a professional and for the dog to be evaluated for its ability to perform these tasks.