Doing algebra on infenetesimal amounts

• Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, when manipulating symbols such as "dx" or "dV" in calculus, it is best to think of them as mnemonics rather than actual numbers. Higher order infinitesimals are typically neglected in calculations. There is a system of mathematics called nonstandard analysis that defines infinitesimal numbers and their rules, but it is not commonly used in traditional calculus studies.
Nikitin
Hey. I always assumed that when calculating with infinitesimal amounts, like dV = infinitesimal change in volume, you can play around with them the same as you'd do with regular numbers.

For example, you if you multiply dV/dt with dr/dr, you have dV/dt=dV/dr * dr/dt. And so on.

What exactly are the restrictions? I'm having my first calculus exam at university level tomorrow, and I thought I could use some help.

Also: Do you guys have any tips on general strategies for solving hard/unexpected Calculus problems?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your question could be interpreted two different ways:

1) What are the guidelines for the informal manipulation of symbols like "dx", 'dV" when doing calculus?

or

2) Is there a system of mathematics that defines infintesimal numbers and the rules they obey?

The best advice for 1) is not to think of symbols such as "dx" as a kind of number. Think of them as pnemonics - things that help you remember facts about calculus. Physics texts often reason with "infinitesimals". I've never seen an orderly presentation of how to do this. Perhaps you learn only by studying many examples. The general idea seems to be that symbols for infinitesimals with the same "order" (exponent) have some meaningful result when they are added, multiplied or divided. Symbols of a different order don't necessaily. Usually "higher order" infinitesimals are "neglected" and the answer is given by the lower order infinitesimals.

The answer to 2) is yes (see "nonstandard analysis"), but the manipulations you see in your current studies aren't based on knowing that system and most people who use calculus never study nonstandard analysis.

What is algebra on infinitesimal amounts?

Algebra on infinitesimal amounts, also known as "infinitesimal calculus," is a mathematical method of studying and analyzing continuous change by using infinitesimal quantities, which are quantities that are infinitely small but not zero.

Why is algebra on infinitesimal amounts important?

Algebra on infinitesimal amounts is important because it allows us to mathematically model and understand continuous change, such as motion, growth, and decay. It is also the foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts, such as calculus.

How is algebra on infinitesimal amounts different from regular algebra?

In regular algebra, we work with finite quantities, or quantities that have a specific value. In algebra on infinitesimal amounts, we work with infinitesimal quantities, which are infinitely small but not zero. This allows us to study and analyze continuous change, while regular algebra is more focused on static quantities.

What are some real-world applications of algebra on infinitesimal amounts?

Algebra on infinitesimal amounts has many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It is used to model and understand continuous processes, such as the motion of objects, the growth of populations, and the change in value of a stock over time.

Are there any limitations to using algebra on infinitesimal amounts?

While algebra on infinitesimal amounts is a powerful tool, it does have its limitations. For example, in some cases, the use of infinitesimal quantities may lead to inaccurate or nonsensical results. Additionally, it can be difficult to visualize and understand infinitesimal quantities, as they are infinitely small and cannot be measured directly.