Doing coursework/computer labs for courses you're not enrolled in?

In summary: Its not really fair to the professor though, because they're giving their time to teach the class, and I'm just sitting there not doing anything.In summary, some professors allow motivated students to audit classes, but it's not always fair to the professor because the student is not doing anything.
Simfish
Gold Member
I know that it's technically not allowed. But some professors allow (and even encourage) motivated individuals to do it anyways.

In any case, has anyone else done this? I'm considering doing this after I graduate, as there are some labs I really want to take (they're mostly computer labs). Of course, I'll do it only with permission.

Physics news on Phys.org
Speak to the professor! Think of a way that you could help him, then he's more likely to help you. For instance you could volunteer to help as a teaching assistant. For example, you could volunteer to (i) go through the examples before the class starts to highlight any errors/sticking points (ii) help out in class. After that you will *really* know the course, gain some teaching experience, and have something that stands out on your CV.

Hm okay. But do professors really allow students to do those if they've never even heard of them? It seems very uncommon for students (except for those who are actually paid as TAs) to do this, and these students are usually students who are already in the department. Meanwhile, I'd do those for courses outside the department once I fully graduate.

its called auditing a class, and why can't you just do it?

with lab classes, there are issues (if you're using chemicals, is your tuition paying for it? what about a seat at a computer?).
but for normal lecture classes, what's to stop you from going in, sitting down, and paying attention? go home and do the work like a normal student and don't turn it in i guess.

Well, I don't learn from listening to lectures. I learn from physically doing things like simulations. I'd rather read a textbook than listen to lectures, but I'd most like to physically do things on the computer.

1. What are the benefits of doing coursework/computer labs for courses I'm not enrolled in?

There are several potential benefits to completing coursework or computer labs for courses you're not enrolled in. Firstly, it can give you a chance to explore new subject areas and potentially discover new interests. It can also help you improve your skills in a particular subject, which may be useful for future courses or career opportunities. Additionally, completing coursework for a course you're not enrolled in can demonstrate your dedication and initiative to potential employers or graduate schools.

2. Is it ethical to do coursework/computer labs for courses I'm not enrolled in?

This is a complex question with no definitive answer. Some may argue that it is unethical to complete coursework for a course you're not enrolled in because it goes against academic integrity and may give you an unfair advantage over other students. However, others may argue that as long as you're not seeking credit for the coursework and are only doing it for personal enrichment, it is not unethical.

3. How do I find courses to do coursework/computer labs for?

There are a few ways to find courses to do coursework or computer labs for. You can start by looking at the course offerings of universities or online learning platforms. You can also reach out to professors or academic departments to inquire about the possibility of auditing a course or completing coursework for a specific course. Additionally, some websites offer free online courses that you can enroll in and complete coursework for.

4. Are there any potential challenges or drawbacks to doing coursework/computer labs for courses I'm not enrolled in?

One potential challenge could be that you may not have access to all the necessary resources and materials that enrolled students have, such as textbooks, lecture notes, or software. Another challenge could be that you may not receive feedback or grades on your coursework, which can make it difficult to gauge your progress and understanding of the material. Additionally, some universities have strict policies against completing coursework for courses you're not enrolled in, so it's important to be aware of these potential drawbacks.

5. Can completing coursework/computer labs for courses I'm not enrolled in count towards my degree requirements?

In most cases, completing coursework or computer labs for courses you're not enrolled in will not count towards your degree requirements. However, some universities may allow you to transfer credits from a course you completed outside of your enrolled program. It's best to check with your academic advisor or the university's policies to determine if this is a possibility for you.