Doing theoretical/pure mathematics

• Thread starter jimgavagan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, there is a debate over whether mathematics is contrived or discovered and whether physical motivation is necessary for its development. Some argue that mathematics is entirely based on our raw sense data, while others believe it is woven into metaphysical reality. However, it is generally agreed upon that mathematics is an important tool for understanding the physical world, with concepts like calculus and analysis being essential for fields like quantum mechanics. While some argue that numbers were invented to quantify the physical world, others believe they have intrinsic significance in the natural world. Ultimately, the role of mathematics in relation to the natural world is still a topic of discussion.
jimgavagan
Do u think theoretical/pure mathematics is possible BEFORE (or, without ever) observing the natural world, or do you think that observations of concrete physical phenomenon (the natural world) HAVE to come first?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think pure mathematics doesn't care about physicial observations. You may have them, or you may not have them. It doesn't matter.

That is actually an extremely good question jimgavagan.

There is a debate going on over whether mathematics are contrived or discovered. If mathematics is contrived, then it is entirely based off of our raw sense data or 'qualia' and have it seems to exhibit an emergent nature due only to human interaction. If mathematics is discovered, then it is somehow woven into metaphysical reality in a way that is accessible by human consciousness. The realm of abstract ideas and principles is very intriguing and depending on your perspective, these concepts could have existed before the universe or anything existed. It just all depends on if they are a priori in nature or are a sort of intellectual structure conjured up solely by human beings.

Oriako said:
That is actually an extremely good question jimgavagan.

There is a debate going on over whether mathematics are contrived or discovered. If mathematics is contrived, then it is entirely based off of our raw sense data or 'qualia' and have it seems to exhibit an emergent nature due only to human interaction. If mathematics is discovered, then it is somehow woven into metaphysical reality in a way that is accessible by human consciousness. The realm of abstract ideas and principles is very intriguing and depending on your perspective, these concepts could have existed before the universe or anything existed. It just all depends on if they are a priori in nature or are a sort of intellectual structure conjured up solely by human beings.

I don't think he was getting at this issue at all. He is talking about whether physical motivation is necessary for development of mathematics. It's not however, just think about number theory.

Jarle said:
I don't think he was getting at this issue at all. He is talking about whether physical motivation is necessary for development of mathematics. It's not however, just think about number theory.

While I agree with you that it isn't necessary, I find that many areas of mathematics are motivated by natural sciences such as physics and computer science. Typically we get something of that sort in nature, and then take what's in nature and try to codify it into some kind of framework so that we can analyze it.

chiro said:
While I agree with you that it isn't necessary, I find that many areas of mathematics are motivated by natural sciences such as physics and computer science. Typically we get something of that sort in nature, and then take what's in nature and try to codify it into some kind of framework so that we can analyze it.

No doubt about that, but Jim went out a little strong perhaps.

I think theoretical/pure mathematics is an important tool before observing physical world. For example, calculus and analysis are important to understand quantum mechanics.

disregardthat said:

Sorry but I seriously think that even number theory originated from observing the physical world. For instance, it's completely logical to deduce that numbers were invented in the first place only to quantify things that we can see. All the other theories simply added up to that main basic idea.

so let's get really basic:

we have this mathematical operation called "addition" and it has definition without referring to physical quantity. but there are so many different physical quantities that are conserved within some boundary. when that is the case, addition has physical significance and the math reflects the natural world intrinsically.

I think mathematics was invented to explain the physical world, first counting and then the rest follows. if there were no humans in the forest would we see numbers?

Related to Doing theoretical/pure mathematics

1. What is theoretical mathematics?

Theoretical or pure mathematics is the branch of mathematics that deals with abstract concepts and theories rather than practical applications. It involves the study of fundamental principles and structures, such as numbers, shapes, and patterns, and their relationships and properties.

2. How is theoretical mathematics different from applied mathematics?

Theoretical mathematics is concerned with developing and proving abstract theories and concepts, while applied mathematics applies these theories to real-world problems and situations. Theoretical mathematics is often seen as the foundation for applied mathematics.

3. What skills are needed to excel in theoretical mathematics?

To excel in theoretical mathematics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and theories, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and the ability to think abstractly and logically. Strong mathematical intuition and creativity are also important for developing new theories and proofs.

4. What are some common areas of research in theoretical mathematics?

Some common areas of research in theoretical mathematics include number theory, algebra, geometry, topology, and analysis. These areas involve the study of fundamental mathematical structures and their properties, as well as the development of new theories and proofs.

5. What are the potential applications of theoretical mathematics?

Although theoretical mathematics may not have immediate practical applications, it provides the foundation for applied mathematics and other fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. The knowledge and skills gained from studying theoretical mathematics can also be applied in problem-solving and critical thinking in various industries and disciplines.