Doing very theoretical undergrad research?

In summary, the speaker is a junior in university and is hoping to attend grad school for physics. They are currently working on a senior research project with a string theorist professor, which is purely theoretical. They are worried that this project may not be helping them develop practical skills and if they should do another project to improve their chances for grad school. The speaker has also done computational research as a sophomore and has been accepted for an external REU this summer. They are concerned about their employability outside of academia as a theoretical physicist.
UVW
I'm a junior in university right now, hoping to attend grad school for physics. At my school, all physics students have a senior research project, and the professor that I'm most likely going to do my project with is a string theorist. The project is very theoretical (i.e. no computers; purely pen and paper). I do enjoy the work and I am very close with the professor.

However, I'm worried that I'm hurting my chances for grad school by not developing more useful skills with this project. The student currently working with him has had difficulty with grad school acceptances (though he has done no other research as an undergrad, for the record).

I've done (gentle) computational research as a sophomore, and I've been accepted for an external REU this summer, probably with computation or possibly experiment, so I have other opportunities, but will I be taking a hit by not doing another project? There are many other ones to choose (with experiment and computation), but I am interested in this one and this professor if it's not going to hurt me. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you have catastrophically bad GPA, getting accepted into grad school should not be an issue. The fact that another grad student had difficulty is not a good measuring stick. Did he have the same GPA as you? Did he apply to enough number of schools of various tiers? There are many factors here beyond just that you and him shared the same project or professor.

What I would be MORE concerned, if I were you, is figuring out if you had a wide-enough experience as an undergraduate (and hopefully, when you are a graduate student) to make yourself "employable" in case you cannot get a job as a university faculty member! Do you have a back up plan, or have you equipped yourself with skills that make you attractive to a non-academic employer? Unlike experimentalists, where certainly physical skills come by default due to the nature of the area that they specialize in, as a theorists, there aren't a lot of inherent skills from strictly following the standard curriculum and research line that a non-academic employer would find valuable. So you have a bigger challenge here to ensure that you have some marketable ability by the time you graduate.

Zz.

1. What is the purpose of doing very theoretical undergrad research?

The purpose of doing very theoretical undergrad research is to gain a deeper understanding of a particular subject or concept. It allows students to apply theoretical knowledge learned in the classroom to real-world problems and contribute to the advancement of scientific knowledge.

2. How do I choose a topic for my very theoretical undergrad research?

Choosing a topic for very theoretical undergrad research can be a daunting task. It is important to select a topic that you are passionate about and that aligns with your academic interests. You can also seek guidance from your professors or research advisors to help you narrow down your options.

3. What skills are required for conducting very theoretical undergrad research?

Conducting very theoretical undergrad research requires strong critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and the ability to analyze and interpret data. It is also important to have a good understanding of research methods and techniques, as well as strong communication skills to present your findings.

4. How do I stay organized and manage my time effectively while doing very theoretical undergrad research?

Staying organized and managing time effectively is crucial for success in very theoretical undergrad research. Make sure to prioritize tasks, create a schedule, and set realistic goals. Utilizing tools such as a research journal, project management software, and regular meetings with your research advisor can also help you stay on track.

5. How can I get the most out of my very theoretical undergrad research experience?

To get the most out of your very theoretical undergrad research experience, it is important to be proactive and take initiative. Participate in discussions, ask questions, and seek feedback from your research advisor. Additionally, attend conferences and workshops to network with other researchers and learn about new developments in your field.