1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Domain of a Differential Equation

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    Find the particular solution y=f(x) to dy/dx=(1+y)/x given that f(-1)=1 and state its domain.

My answer was: 2|x|-1, x ∈ ℝ/{0}

Apparently, the domain should be x<0

Solving the differential equation was not an issue at all, but I have no idea why the domain is restricted to x<0. I understand that zero cannot be included because dy/dx fails to exist at x=0, but why are positive real numbers not included?

In general, as well, how is the domain of a particular differential equation found that is not obvious (e.g. found by simply looking at dy/dx)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

With the domain of a "particular" solution for a diff.eq, we mean those x's for which the given intial conditions yield a UNIQUE solution.

In your case, an equally good solution is:

y(x)=2|x|-1, x less than 0, and y(x)=3x-1 for x greater than 0.

The discontinuity at x=0 wreaks havoc on the uniqueness of the solution that normally is guaranteed by specifying a SINGLE initial condition.

4. Mar 5, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Notice that if you were given exactly the same differential equation with the condition f(1)= 1, the domain would be the set of all positive numbers.

5. Mar 5, 2008 #4
    Ah, I see now. For an initial condition problem, the domain of the solution curve is the set of all x that satisfies the differential equation and contains the initial point. So, since there's a singularity at x=0, only the left half of the curve is the solution. Is my reasoning correct?

6. Mar 6, 2008 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Indeed.

If you were to have a unique solution covering all of R except 0, you'd need TWO initial conditions, one in each of the two disconnected parts of the domain.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?