Domain/range of functions inverse

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the inverse of a given function, graphing both the original and inverse functions, and determining the domain and range of the inverse function. The method of finding range for rational functions using derivatives is suggested, but its applicability is questioned for non-continuous functions.
Nelo

Homework Statement

For the following function find the inverse of f(x) graph the inverse and f(x) and determine the domain and range of its inverse

Homework Equations

f(x) = (x+1)^2

f(x)inverse = (plusminus) [sqrt] x-1

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the range for f(x)
but how is the domain for the inverse x is greater than or equal to 0? It passes to the negetive side...
I have both graphs, but i don't understand how to get the domain and range... How can

Physics news on Phys.org
Nelo said:
but how is the domain for the inverse x is greater than or equal to 0? It passes to the negetive side...
What is "it"?

To find range for rational functions:
1. Find the derivative of the function
2. Set the derivative equal to zero and solve
3. Plug values back into original equation
4. Omit complex results if your working in the set of real numbers

Last edited:
GreenPrint said:
To find range:
3. Plug values back into original equation
4. Omit complex results if your working in the set of real numbers

If the above makes no sense at all then I assume all your expected to do is just think about it to get your answer. I hate that method though.

It makes no sense to me. Try it on f(x) = x3.

*adds in "for rational functions" and takes out note*

Last edited:
Nelo said:

Homework Statement

For the following function find the inverse of f(x) graph the inverse and f(x) and determine the domain and range of its inverse

Homework Equations

f(x) = (x+1)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have both graphs, but i don't understand how to get the domain and range... How can

But your "inverse" isn't a function since it gives two values. Technically, your given function doesn't have an inverse because it isn't 1-1.

GreenPrint said:
*adds in "for rational functions" and takes out note*

So how does your method apply to f(x) = 1/x?

Nelo said:

f(x) = (x+1)^2

You realize that since f(x) is not one-to-one, f-1(x) is NOT a function, right?

Nelo said:
You're looking at the y-values (assuming you graphed correctly.) Yes, some y-values of the graph of f-1(x) are negative, but you need to look at the x-values when dealing with the domain.

GreenPrint said:
To find range for rational functions:
I don't know about you, but I had to learn about domains and ranges a year before I learned how to take derivatives. So I don't think this method is going to help.

LCKurtz said:
It makes no sense to me. Try it on f(x) = x3.

It will work for continuous ranges. If the derivative is 0 then at that point the function is not growing or falling. The range will always be from one point where f'(x) = 0 to another point where f'(x) = 0. Your example grows without bound, so it's from some number to infinity.

Derivative is 3x^2

3x^2 = 0
x = 0

Since that's the only solution, it's the only real domain limit. Since solving for and x greater than 0 yields a greater y, x = 0 is the lower range, 0 cubed is 0, domain is 0, infinity.

Or another example:
y = 5x^2 + 7x + 5
y' = 10x + 7

10x + 7 = 0
x = -7/10

x = -7/10 is the only real solution.

5(-7/10)^2 + 7(-7/10) + 5
= 2.55

Range is [2.55, infinity)

More useful for examples that don't just grow without bound.

[itex]y=\frac{4x+1}{x^2+x+1}[/itex]
Derivative:
[itex]-\frac{4x^2+2x-3}{(x^2+x+1)^2}[/itex]

0 = 4x^2 + 2x - 3

x =
[itex]\frac{-2+\sqrt{52}}{8}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{-2-\sqrt{52}}{8}[/itex]

Solving for those x in original equation:
Range is [-3.070, 1.737]

moved to calculus and beyond

Last edited:
1MileCrash said:
It will work for continuous ranges. If the derivative is 0 then at that point the function is not growing or falling. The range will always be from one point where f'(x) = 0 to another point where f'(x) = 0. Your example grows without bound, so it's from some number to infinity...

This looks to me like an ad hoc method that sometimes, maybe usually, works. But there are probably unstated exceptions or additions to the method. If

[tex]f(x) = \frac{x^2}{x^2+4}[/tex]

the derivative is 0 when x = 0 and only there. How does your method give the range (without adding more cases to the "method")?

LCKurtz said:
This looks to me like an ad hoc method that sometimes, maybe usually, works. But there are probably unstated exceptions or additions to the method. If

the derivative is 0 when x = 0 and only there. How does your method give the range (without adding more cases to the "method")?

That's not a range where the function will actually equal the limiting range at a point. This function approaches 1.

Derivative method will find 0 as the beginning of the range because the function actually equals zero at a point.

LCKurtz said:

1MileCrash said:
That's not a range where the function will actually equal the limiting range at a point. This function approaches 1.

Derivative method will find 0 as the beginning of the range because the function actually equals zero at a point.

That's my point. You are suggesting a method that supposedly works on rational functions with continuous range but it is apparently an incomplete method. It is just a tool that might be helpful on some functions, but maybe not on others, even if they are rational functions.

LCKurtz said:
That's my point. You are suggesting a method that supposedly works on rational functions with continuous range but it is apparently an incomplete method. It is just a tool that might be helpful on some functions, but maybe not on others, even if they are rational functions.

No, I am just explaining to you a method that someone else posted. You remarked that it made no sense, so I showed the sense of it.

Finding where derivative = 0 shows maximum and minimum values, it's not a leap of logic that it helps with finding the ranges of a function as well.

It will work, for any continuous function, that has a range that would be in brackets on both ends. I'm pretty sure that's correct, anyway. For any noncontinuous function, I'd think breaking it up into intervals would work fine.

1MileCrash said:
No, I am just explaining to you a method that someone else posted.

Point taken. It's late and I haven't kept track of who posted what first.

You remarked that it made no sense, so I showed the sense of it.

Finding where derivative = 0 shows maximum and minimum values, it's not a leap of logic that it helps with finding the ranges of a function as well.

It will work, for any continuous function, that has a range that would be in brackets on both ends. I'm pretty sure that's correct, anyway. For any noncontinuous function, I'd think breaking it up into intervals would work fine.

Yes, I agree that can be a useful tool in some cases. GreenPrint posted it at the beginning of this thread presented it as though it was "the way" to do the problem. There's more to it, that's all I'm saying. Anyway, time to hit the sack here.

What is the definition of a function inverse?

A function inverse is a mathematical operation that reverses the effect of another function. It maps the output values of a function back to the original input values.

What is the process for finding the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, switch the x and y variables and solve for y. This will give you the inverse function in terms of x.

What is the domain of a function inverse?

The domain of a function inverse is the range of the original function. This means that the input values of the inverse function are equal to the output values of the original function.

What is the range of a function inverse?

The range of a function inverse is the domain of the original function. This means that the output values of the inverse function are equal to the input values of the original function.

What is the significance of a function and its inverse having the same domain and range?

When a function and its inverse have the same domain and range, it means that the two functions are essentially performing the same operation, but in reverse. This is important because it allows us to undo a function and return to the original input values.