1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Domain / range of this function

1. Sep 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I don't remember the exact question right now, but it was something like this:

f(x) = sqrt(4 - x^2)

I needed to give the domain / range of it, and also symmetry I believe.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know this is a half circle after being graphed, but how can I show the domain and range in a math way?

For domain, I know 4 - x^ must >= 0, so I can solve for it that way.
    But what about range?
    Can I also just isolate x and then get sqrt with y inside and restrict to real numbers?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2011 #2
    Formally, you should say: if "y" is an element in the domains, then there's an x, so that:

[itex]\sqrt{4 - x^{2}}= y[/itex]
    That already means that y [itex]\geq[/itex] 0, since the square root always gives non-negative values.
    Squaring the equation:
    =>
    x2 = 4 - y2

This equation only has a solution if the right side is positive (or zero). therefore:
    4 - y2 [itex]\geq[/itex] 0
    Check out what inequality you get from that.

Of course you need to combine it with y [itex]\geq[/itex] 0 (squaring equations usually leads to extra solutions) with the inequality you got.

A little less formally, but probably valid - you could use the graph of the function. By finding the absolute maximum and minimum of the function in it's closed range [-2,2] and noting that the function gets any values between them, being continuous in that segment - you can find your range.

4. Sep 23, 2011 #3
    [tex] \sqrt4 = \pm 2 [/tex]

5. Sep 23, 2011 #4
    The square root function is defined to be the positive root of a number, unlike the operation of taking a root from a number.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook