Donate $.99 to Local Food Banks with App

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    App
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Messages
5,112
Reaction score
20
I'm sure a lot of you are aware of the competition Wal-Mart is hosting where you 'like' a city on facebook in need of food bank donations. The winning city gets $1.5 million for food banks. Now, as people on the internet love to do, there have been hostilities and name calling all around with competing cities. People are even cheating, of course, so that my city, at the most, 1.1 million people in the metropolitan area, has achieved >2.2 million 'likes'.

So one of my friends who is cheering people on said that it's funny that people are voting for $1.5 million, but if everyone just donates a dollar, they'd easily surpass that amount. That gave me a brilliant idea! What if an app was created that by buying it, you donate the money to a local foodbank! The whole 'app' craze along with iTunes has shown definitively that people will throw $.99 at pretty much anything.

It has the two things Americans are best at: slacktivism and using their phones!

PATENT PENDING PATENT PENDING PATENT PENDING
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I really like the idea, but it seems like it would be widely and easily abused.

Personally, I would be really worried that the money is not going to the charity. Same reason I do not donate money to "donation solicitors" over the phone. Rarely does more than 25% of the donation go to the charity.

I try to donate to local places where I have actually volunteered at. The best volunteer work I have ever done (and really the only one I did for an extended amount of time) was working in the "puppy house" at NEADS while I was in grad school: http://www.neads.org/

They train service dogs for all sorts of disabilities. From hearing dogs to walking assistance dogs to little dogs that pull the blanket up on you. They get puppies donated to them and someone has to watch the puppies and take them for walks. It was really rough having to play with puppies for 3 or 4 hours on a Saturday morning...:smile:
 
I donate to the local animal shelters, I will put food into the Harvester's food barrels at the grocery store to be delivered to the needy, things like that. I used to donate my time to Diabetes, Heart and other foundations.

I just watched another heart wrenching ASPCA commercial with that sad song and those sad animal faces. I'm looking into how they use they're money, and if they are good, they're getting some money. I should donate to MIH's cat Ranch, and the similar doggie ranch, places that appear to really care.

Sorry, this is about charity apps.
 
Evo said:
I donate to the local animal shelters, I will put food into the Harvester's food barrels at the grocery store to be delivered to the needy, things like that. I used to donate my time to Diabetes, Heart and other foundations.

I just watched another heart wrenching ASPCA commercial with that sad song and those sad animal faces. I'm looking into how they use they're money, and if they are good, they're getting some money. I should donate to MIH's cat Ranch, and the similar doggie ranch, places that appear to really care.

Sorry, this is about charity apps.

Thats my favorite ad (OSPCA) on the TV :!)

BC-SPCA but they play similar video for OSPCA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gspElv1yvc

I have been thinking of getting involved in assistance dogs program (I learned about this last semester when I noticed a girl doing that. She would take her dog to everywhere on campus)/adopting a dog once I graduate.
 
Last edited: