Don't even know which question to ask first

• Thread starter GreatBigBore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary: I can go?In summary, an expert summarizer would say that an individual would see the same things (stars, galaxies, etc) if they traveled four billion light years in any direction, but that the average matter density, dark matter density, dark energy density, etc would be the same. The cosmological principle states that the universe is on average the same everywhere and in all directions, and has held up to experimental scrutiny.
Chalnoth said:
Different low-energy laws of physics.

Wait a second. The low-energy laws of physics is *us* isn't it? I mean, the laws that govern our everyday lives?

Space news on Phys.org
GreatBigBore said:
Wait a second. The low-energy laws of physics is *us* isn't it? I mean, the laws that govern our everyday lives?
Yup, precisely. So it's conceivable, for instance, that a different region far away could have different decay rates for radioactive atoms, perhaps a different strength of the electromagnetic force. Stuff like that.

GreatBigBore said:
DaveC426913 said:
GreatBigBore said:
Ok, but "out to the limits of our vision" brings me back to the question: what do we think might be there, or what might I experience if I tried to get "there"?
We would arrive back at our departure point.
And your basis for this is?
If the universe is curved and closed, it may be in the form of a 4-dimensional spheroid. Just like on a 3-dimensional sphere, if you head in one direction long enough, you will arrive back at your starting point.