Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Don't Throw It Out In A Trash Can

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It is not a good idea to throw out your physics experiment (failed or not) in the trash can, especially when it has wires sticking out of it.

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2007 #2
  4. Nov 20, 2007 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This was the most amazing part of the story:

I would like to formally nominate the bomb investigators for president. We need more of that kind of level-headed thinking at the top.

5. Nov 20, 2007 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I have a feeling they've seen similar things before. I also suspect that the bomb squad has to be a lot more level-headed than your average cop...that really big KABOOM! if they rush into something before thinking it through carefully is probably very selective for that force. :wink:

But, yeah, if you're going to toss your science project in the trash, it probably makes good sense to dismantle it first.

6. Nov 20, 2007 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right after 911 I was in Huntsville. Being the national rocket center, security was very tight, but no one really knew what they were doing [this was right after flights had resumed]. I was actually trying to be helpful when I pointed out that I had one suitcase that they would want to examine. Since it was full of technical hardware I had assumed that this would draw attention anyway. But for some reason these two laides [using the word liberally] decided that my good faith effort was some kind of a threat. So they made this big deal about it proceeded to give me the third degree. The irony was that upon inspection, they had no idea what they were looking at, so one by one they would take items out of my suitcase and ask in a rather harsh tone "what's this?", to which I would say, that is a protocol converter, or whatever. Apparently, once I gave something a name it was no threat because they would just say, oh, and then pull out the next item. I could have said that it was a pink elephant and they wouldn't have known the difference. I could hardly keep from laughing at them, but I figured that if I gave them any more ammo I may end up getting strip searched! :biggrin:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  7. Nov 21, 2007 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Speaking of throwing things out.. there is a problem sitting on my desk as we speak.

Someone managed to break the ring lamp in a magnifier.. you know one of those goose neck lamp things you look through the magnifying glass with the fluorescent bulb lighting the work piece.

Well, it is hazardous waste AND it is a sharp (its broken). Can't but it in the sharps bin..its hazardous... can't do the normal double bag, label, and call the disposal people cuz its a sharp?? :eek:

What do I do???? I think I'll pass it on to the next shift let them deal with it while I head home to Thanksgiving weekend!! :approve:

8. Nov 21, 2007 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, hmm...we actually have categories for all that mixed waste...sharps, biohazard, biohazardous sharps, radioactive biohazards, sharp biohazardous radioactive waste, etc. Basically, the only difference between disposal methods is that anything not sharp goes into some sort of labeled bag, and anything that is sharp goes into some sort of plastic box or container with a big sticker on it labeling the contents.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?