Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Don't try it at home (or you will get arrested)

1. May 5, 2010 #1

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2010 #2
    The best part of the article

I love this woman.

4. May 5, 2010 #3
    I hope the grand daughter gets to find a new place to live while she develops a sense of respect.

I adore her too Cyrus.

5. May 5, 2010 #4
    What kind of idiot brat child calls the police on her grandmother. Or curses left and right in front of her, for that matter.

6. May 5, 2010 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wish the reporter would have asked the most intriguing question:

How many times did the grandma hear the f-word while she was in jail?

Or did the inmates show more respect for her than the granddaughter?

7. May 5, 2010 #6

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

An idiot brat.

BTW, I can't wait to see how long it takes for someone in the "Why people have so many children?" thread to notice this one. That thread has devolved into a discussion of punishment (and torture).

8. May 5, 2010 #7
    I can't say for sure because I didn't see it, but there 2 problems here (maybe 3 if grandma used slapping before reasoning):
    1) the kid is gaming the system to insult her grandma's values.
    2) the cops are tripping on their own power apparently to impress the girl.

Grandma took responsibility for her action so she has my kudos, but neither the cops or the kid did.

9. May 5, 2010 #8
    The kid is WAY out of line, and the grandmother needs to learn how to communicate without violence, or really it's no wonder that that her grandchild isn't a peach. Now granny has an arrest record, and that kid is on record as being a worthless ****. I like granny too, even if I don't agree with her reasons or methods; tough old biddy!

I should add, from what I understand the law requires police in the USA to arrest the battering party in a domestic dispute. Don't blame the police, blame the legislature for not being able to write a law to protect people without putting grandma in jail.

10. May 5, 2010 #9
    Granddaughter or not, you cannot slap another adult across the face because you don't like what they say. To my knowledge, blood relation doesn't change the legal status of battery.

11. May 5, 2010 #10
    I looked at a few state's laws, and blood relation means it is Domestic Battery, which requires one go to jail if there is a visible injury, even a bruise.

http://www.legalchip.com/Domestic-Violence.aspx
    http://www.sandiegocrimedefense.com/domesticviolence-restrainingorders.html
    http://www.thelegaldefenders.com/domestic_battery_attorney_chicago_il.html [Broken]
    http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwide/laws_policies/statutes/witnessdvall.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  12. May 5, 2010 #11

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Amen to everything except the last sentence. Neither the granddaughter nor the grandmother acted appropriately in this case.

13. May 5, 2010 #12

rhody

Gold Member

Borek,

All I have to say is: "Thank God for common sense."

Borg,

I agree, it is truly amazing to see that the inner workings of some people's (thought process) so diametrically opposed to everything you were raised to believe. (In this case respect for others, decency, etc...)
    Note: that's what mentors are for, I have seen more than a few of the threads I have been responding too lately with members suddenly "banned" they must be doing their jobs, eh ?

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  14. May 5, 2010 #13
    I like her, I don't agree with her. Something about a tough granny is funny to me. As I said, I don't agree with her methods, and if you can't reason with someone, you don't get to hit them. I always laugh at the "They hit me first" defense on COPS. I never see it work, just two people in jail.

15. May 5, 2010 #14
    Why slap her? Makes no sense to me.

Sure the daughter needs to learn some respect but if there's one thing I learnt living with my step-father it's that hitting a person doesn't make the other person listen and it gains you no respect... in fact they lose respect for you. (Even though in this case it would appear the granddaughter had very minimal respect)

I mean like this wasn't just some slap on the hand or smack on the butt. This was a smack accross the face.

16. May 5, 2010 #15
    She says she'd do it again too. Really? She hasn't had enough time in life and jail to consider a better response than backhanding a relative?

17. May 5, 2010 #16
    This incident is a clash of generations. In either case, nobody is to be blamed.

I try to imagine what was it like to grow up since 1930s. Life was much simpler, but also one had to work alot harder to earn those pennies. I also try to imagine what it was like growing up in this generation and then compare the two. It's a total mess.

In the end it's the socio-economic forces that shaped who we are and what we demand of others.

18. May 5, 2010 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

When you grow up where a spanking is not only appropriate, it is considered the only right way to discipline a child, you have a different outlook.

I think older people here will be more accepting than the much younger members.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  19. May 5, 2010 #18

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Creaks in agreement... :smile:

20. May 5, 2010 #19
    I'm not sure I follow. Back in the 1930s it was common practice to be slapped accross the face when you were 18 years of age?

Regardless, if it was... it has no bearing on how things are looked upon in THESE times. That's one of the great things about being human. We can adapt and CHANGE for the better.

21. May 5, 2010 #20
    I am not a young man by any stretch of imagination, and I still understand that slapping someone accomplishes nothing. If you don't like how someone is speaking to you, speak to them. If they will not listen, this is no child, so do not welcome her into your home. You don't strike people unless it is in self defense, or if you are spanking a kid. I don't agree with the spanking, but it's accepted practice and I'm not bringing that debate here. Two adults have no place striking one another, even if the granddaughter is a miserable wretch. Age should bring wisdom, compassion, and resolve: Wisdom to know what is right and effective, compassion for others, and the resolve to do the harder thing and NOT vent your anger with a blow.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook