1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doppler effect star and earth question

1. Oct 5, 2006 #1
    Hello I have a question that is giving me trouble:

Light of wavelength 659.7 nm is emitted by a star. The wavelength of this light as measured on Earth is 661.1 nm.

How fast is the star moving with respect to Earth? km/s

Is it moving toward Earth or away from it?

Here's where I'm at. I have reasoned that since the wavelength is increasing that the star is moving away. My main problem is determining the frequency of the light. I assume that I can use the formula:

velocity = wavelength * frequency

however the frequency I get just seems wrong. The units are throwing me off too, any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

What is the equation for the change in frequency of a wave based on its speed and the speed of the emitter? And keep in mind that the speed of light is about 300*10^6m/s (check this before using it, though), so that gives you a way to convert between frequency and wavelength.

EDIT -- Fixed typo in speed of light. It's 300*10^6, not *10^8. Sorry.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?