1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doppler shifted frequency - ultrasound

1. Sep 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object is moving at speed vo toward a source at rest that is emitting sounds waves with frequency fo. What is the doppler shifted frequency of the reflected wave that comes back to the source?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

If I use the doppler formula for an observer approaching a source : f+ = (1+vo/v) fo

This is the frequency seen by the moving object. But I'm not sure how to proceed. I think that the reflected wave would have a phase shift of pi, so does this question have something to with the superposition of the reflected waves and the waves coming from the source? I need a little nudge in the right direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2008 #2
    any help would be greatly appreciated
  4. Sep 9, 2008 #3
    I think that the the object moving at the wave compresses it, thus increasing frequency, but I'm not sure how to express this mathematically.
  5. Sep 10, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Hi bcjochim07,

You've already found the frequency received by the moving object. For the reflected wave, the roles of source and observer are swapped. Do you see what to do now?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?