How can the Doppler effect be used as a motion detector?

In summary: Whoops, that wouldn't work either because if y was 1/3 than it would be 1/(1/3) which is >>1. ill keep thinking.nvm I am confused again.
huffy

Homework Statement

An audio transmitter and receiver are mounted side by side as shown in the figure. The transmitter emits sound of frequency v. A distant flat plate approaches the instrument at speed Vtarget and the receiver detects sound waves of frequency v' reflected from the target. The difference in frequency between the emitted and detected frequencies can be used as a motion detector.

A) Show that v'/v=v+Vtarget / v-Vtarget

B) In many cases V[/SUB]target[/SUB] <<v . For such cases show that V'/v=1+2(vtarget /v)

FIGURE: http://imgur.com/bLXnm2L

Homework Equations

Doppler effect

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive already accomplished A by realizing there were two doppler shifts and that the frequency gets larger as it goes to the object, than even larger than that when it bounces back to the receiver. Part B is where I'm stuck because I am not sure what i need to assume to create that formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
huffy said:
Part B is where I'm stuck because I am not sure what i need to assume to create that formula.
Do you know how to expand (1+x)a as a power series in x?

No, i haven't learned about power series yet, how does that relate to this?

huffy said:
No, i haven't learned about power series yet, how does that relate to this?
For this question, you need to know that, for small x, (1+x)a can be approximated as 1+ax+O(x2), where O(x2) means terms that grow smaller "like x2" as x gets smaller. I.e. you can just approximate here as 1+ax.

is x just a term for frequency in this situation? I am not sure I am following your variables.

huffy said:
is x just a term for frequency in this situation? I am not sure I am following your variables.
x is anything at all, as long as it is small compared with 1.
Your initial post is very confusing because you seem to have written v for frequency and for velocity of sound in air. Maybe it's just a confusing font. Allow me to rewrite it more clearly:
huffy said:
The transmitter emits sound of frequency ##\nu##

A) Show that ##\frac{\nu'}{\nu}=\frac{V_{sound}+V_{target}}{V_{sound}-V_{target}}##

B) In many cases Vtarget<<Vsound
You are given Vtarget<<Vsound. So what quantity << 1?

so your variable x would be less than 1, or in the re formatted variable, Vsound would be <<1

huffy said:
your variable x would be less than 1
Yes.
huffy said:
Vsound would be <<1
No, Vtarget<<Vsound. From that, find something that must therefore be <<1.

Perhaps the frequency would be less than 1. Would i be correct in assuming that?

huffy said:
Perhaps the frequency would be less than 1. Would i be correct in assuming that?
No.

OH. The Vtarget has to be <<1

huffy said:
OH. The Vtarget has to be <<1
No.
Forget the actual questionfor a moment. If you have two quantities y and z, and you are told y<<z, what quantity can you construct from y and z which is therefore << 1? (You understand what << means, right?)

<< means significantly less than. So id have to make a third quantity that is z-y?

huffy said:
<< means significantly less than
Yes.
huffy said:
So id have to make a third quantity that is z-y
No. E.g. y=1 and z=100 would satisfy y<<z, but z-y would be 99. And I should have said that you want the absolute magnitude to be <<1, so swapping z and y won't do it either.
Think about ratios.

So what if we made a quantity that was 1/y. that would guarantee y<<Z if we just want it to be <<1

huffy said:
So what if we made a quantity that was 1/y. that would guarantee y<<Z if we just want it to be <<1
whoops, that wouldn't work either because if y was 1/3 than it would be 1/(1/3) which is >>1. ill keep thinking.

nvm I am confused again

1. What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the wave source. It is commonly observed with sound waves, where the pitch of a sound can be perceived higher or lower depending on whether the source is moving towards or away from the listener.

2. How does the Doppler effect impact sound waves?

The Doppler effect causes the frequency of a sound wave to appear higher as the source moves closer to the listener, and lower as the source moves away. This is because the wavelength of the wave appears shorter when compressed (higher frequency) and longer when stretched (lower frequency).

3. What is the difference between the Doppler effect and Doppler shift?

The terms Doppler effect and Doppler shift are often used interchangeably, but technically the Doppler effect refers to the perceived change in frequency or wavelength of a wave, while the Doppler shift refers to the actual change in frequency or wavelength as measured by an observer.

4. How is the Doppler effect used in science?

The Doppler effect is used in a variety of scientific fields, including astronomy, meteorology, and medical imaging. In astronomy, it is used to measure the movement and speed of celestial objects. In meteorology, it is used to track the movement of storms. In medical imaging, it is used to create images of the inside of the body by measuring the Doppler shift of ultrasound waves reflected off of moving blood cells.

5. Can the Doppler effect be observed with light waves?

Yes, the Doppler effect can also be observed with light waves. This is known as the Doppler shift. It is commonly used in astronomy to measure the movement and speed of stars and galaxies. It is also used in other fields, such as radar technology.