Double application of Stokes' theorem to find the area of a simplex

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Stokes' theorem to find a simple formula for the area within a two dimensional simplex. The formula is derived by using the standard integration by parts formula and breaking down the integral into three pieces. However, when trying to use the same method for a second time, it is discovered that the function used evaluates to zero at every vertex, making it impossible to apply Stokes' theorem twice. The conversation also mentions a cross post on a math help forum for further clarification.
norg012pp
I'm having trouble using Stokes' theorem in order to find a simple formula for the area found within a two dimensional simplex. I know the formula, but I'm interested in the derivation. For simplicity, I've been working with a unit triangle with vertices at the coordinates (0,0), (0,1), and (1,0). In this way, the area enclosed by these points should be 1/2.

The standard integration by parts formula tells us that

[tex]\int_{\Omega} \nabla u \cdot \mathbf{v} = \int_{\partial\Omega} (u \mathbf{v})\cdot n-\int_\Omega u \nabla\cdot\mathbf{v}[/tex]

where [tex]n[/tex] denotes the outer unit normal, [tex]\Omega[/tex] denotes the domain, and [tex]\partial\Omega[/tex] denotes the boundary of the domain. In order to use this formula, we let [tex]\Omega[/tex] be equal to the unit triangle, [tex]\mathbf{v}=(1,1)[/tex], and [tex]u=(x+y)/2[/tex]. In this way, we have that

[tex]\int_{\Omega} 1 = \int_{\partial\Omega} ((x,y)\in\Re^2\mapsto (x+y)/2) ((1,1)\cdot n)[/tex]

Since the unit triangle has nice straight lines, the unit norm is constant along each face. Therefore, we can break up the above integral into three pieces where [tex]\partial\Omega_1=\{(x,y)\in\Re^2 : x=0, 0\leq y\leq 1\}[/tex], [tex]\partial\Omega_2=\{(x,y)\in\Re^2:y=1-x,0\leq x\leq 1\}[/tex], [tex]\partial\Omega_3=\{(x,y)\in\Re^2:y=0,0\leq x\leq 1\}[/tex]. This allows us to express the integral as

[tex]\left((1,1)\cdot(-1,0)\int_{\partial\Omega_1} (x,y)\in\Re^2\mapsto (x+y)/2 \right)+\left((1,1)\cdot(1,1)\int_{\partial\Omega_2} (x,y)\in\Re^2\mapsto (x+y)/2\right)+\left((0,-1)\cdot(1,1)\int_{\partial\Omega_3} (x,y)\in\Re^2\mapsto (x+y)/2\right)[/tex]

Simplifying, we have that the area is equal to

[tex] -1/4 + 2(1/2) - 1/4 [/tex]

which gives the correct area as [tex]1/2[/tex]. Now, I would like to use this trick a second time so that the area of the triangle is expressed purely by its vertices. In order to do this, we let [tex]u=xy/2[/tex]. In this way, we have that

[tex]\sum\limits_{i=1}^3 ((1,1)\cdot n_i) \int_{\partial\Omega_i} (x,y)\in\Re^2\mapsto (x+y)/2=\sum\limits_{i=1}^3 ((1,1)\cdot n_i) \int_{\partial\partial\Omega_i} ((x,y)\in\Re^2\mapsto xy/2)(\tilde{n}\cdot (1,1))[/tex]

where [tex]\tilde{n}[/tex] denotes the outer unit normal to [tex]\partial\partial\Omega_i[/tex]. Herein lies the trouble. The function [tex](x,y)\in\Re^2\mapsto xy/2[/tex] evaluates to zero at every vertex of the unit triangle. Therefore, the above equivalence is not correct as the second integral evaluates to zero.

Using differential forms leads to a similar problem. In differential forms, Stokes' theorem has the form

[tex] \int_\Omega du = \int_{\partial\Omega} u [/tex]

In order to evaluate the area of a triangle by only considering some function at the vertices, we would need the relations

[tex] \int_\Omega d(du) = \int_{\partial\Omega} du = \int_{\partial\partial\Omega} u [/tex]

where [tex] d(du)=1[/tex]. However, this is impossible since [tex]d(du)=0[/tex] for any smooth function [tex]u[/tex].

Is it possible to apply Stokes' theorem (or integration by parts) twice in order to determine the area of some simplex?

Physics news on Phys.org
This question was cross posted on the mathhelpforum and resolved there:

http://www.mathhelpforum.com/math-help/f57/double-application-stokes-theorem-find-area-simplex-167156.html

Of course, if someone has a different explanation, it's welcome.

the boundary of a boundary should be empty, so no...

1. What is Stokes' theorem?

Stokes' theorem is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the surface integral of a vector field to the line integral of its curl over the boundary of the surface. It is named after mathematician George Gabriel Stokes.

2. How does Stokes' theorem apply to finding the area of a simplex?

Stokes' theorem can be applied twice to a simplex, which is a higher dimensional analogue of a triangle. The first application relates the integral of the vector field over the surface of the simplex to the integral of its curl along the edges of the simplex. The second application then relates this line integral to the area of the simplex.

3. What is the advantage of using double application of Stokes' theorem to find the area of a simplex?

The advantage of using this method is that it allows for the calculation of the area of a simplex without needing to know the explicit formula for the area. This can be particularly useful in higher dimensions where the formula for the area becomes more complex.

4. Can Stokes' theorem be applied to any shape?

No, Stokes' theorem can only be applied to closed and bounded surfaces. This means that it cannot be applied to shapes with holes or infinite surfaces.

5. How can Stokes' theorem be used in real-world applications?

Stokes' theorem has many real-world applications, including in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and engineering. It allows for the calculation of important physical quantities such as fluid flow and electromagnetic fields, making it a valuable tool for scientists and engineers.