Double integral of √(x² + y²) over unit square using change of variables

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
ninjacookies
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
I'm trying to evaluate the double integral

[tex]\int \int \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} \, dA[/tex]

over the region R = [0,1] x [0,1]
using change of variables.

Well, after fooling around, I've got an answer. I set u = x^2, v =y^2, and then calculated the jacobian of T which was 1. The image transformation limits of integration for u and v turned out to be the same [0,1] x [0,1]

So I did the following calculation (both integrals going from 0 to 1)

[tex]\int \int \sqrt{u + v} * (1) dudv[/tex]


which resulted in a value of roughly 3.238.

Does my logic and answer seem sound here? Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Converting to rectangular coordinates would probably be easier
 
I'm totally at a loss here guys. I realized my Jacobian was computed wrong. Can someone please give me a clue as to what would be the most efficient integral setup? I'm completely dumbfounded. :( Thanks


edit: more in-depth post in the calculus forum, thanks
 
Last edited:
Dexter...you need to drop the intensity down a notch. And to the ninja, just convert [tex]x^2 + y^2[/tex] to [tex]r^2[/tex] and integrate over the same area in cylindrical.