Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double major in genetics/biochem

1. Nov 23, 2005 #1
    I'm ready to go to college and pursue a double major in genetics/biochem (mostly genetics though), but after I graduate I was thinking of what I could do and there was two options that I liked the most.
    1 - graduate school for Genomics/Bioinformatics
    2 - graduate school for Astrobiology.

Now, astrobiology is a fairly new science, but it sounds interesting. I was wonder what were your thoughts on it (not particularly looking for advice, since I still havea long time ahead of me. just wanting to know what you guys thought about it).

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2005 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In my opinion, astrobiology is highly speculative field and it is just a reason that many researchers used to study life in extreme environment. However, the research done is quite interresting if you a passion for microbial life.

I know people that are looking at microbial diversity in the canadian high arctic. They are also working with NASA on some projects.
    http://www.nrs.mcgill.ca/whyte/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?