Double major in genetics/biochem

In summary, the conversation focused on the speaker's plans to pursue a double major in genetics and biochemistry, and then potentially attend graduate school for either genomics/bioinformatics or astrobiology. The speaker expressed interest in astrobiology, but also acknowledged that it is a speculative field and mainly used as a way to study life in extreme environments. They mentioned knowing people who are working on microbial diversity in the Canadian high arctic and collaborating with NASA.
end3r7
I'm ready to go to college and pursue a double major in genetics/biochem (mostly genetics though), but after I graduate I was thinking of what I could do and there was two options that I liked the most.
1 - graduate school for Genomics/Bioinformatics
2 - graduate school for Astrobiology.

Now, astrobiology is a fairly new science, but it sounds interesting. I was wonder what were your thoughts on it (not particularly looking for advice, since I still havea long time ahead of me. just wanting to know what you guys thought about it).

Biology news on Phys.org
In my opinion, astrobiology is highly speculative field and it is just a reason that many researchers used to study life in extreme environment. However, the research done is quite interresting if you a passion for microbial life.

I know people that are looking at microbial diversity in the Canadian high arctic. They are also working with NASA on some projects.
http://www.nrs.mcgill.ca/whyte/

Last edited by a moderator:

Pursuing a double major in genetics and biochemistry is a great choice as it combines two important fields in the life sciences. Both majors have a strong foundation in molecular biology and can provide you with a well-rounded understanding of biological processes.

Graduate school for genomics/bioinformatics is a popular choice for students with a background in genetics and biochemistry. This field focuses on using computational tools and techniques to analyze and interpret large sets of genomic data. With the increasing use of genomics in various industries, graduate school in this field can lead to a wide range of career opportunities such as bioinformatics analyst, data scientist, or research scientist.

On the other hand, pursuing graduate school in astrobiology can open up opportunities in a relatively new and exciting field. Astrobiology combines elements of biology, chemistry, and astronomy to study the origin, evolution, and distribution of life in the universe. With the growing interest in space exploration and the search for extraterrestrial life, this field is expected to have a lot of potential for research and innovation.

Ultimately, the decision between these two options will depend on your interests and career goals. Both fields have their own unique opportunities and challenges, so it's important to explore and understand your options before making a decision. Whichever path you choose, your double major in genetics and biochemistry will provide a strong foundation for your future studies and career. Best of luck in your academic journey!

1. What is a double major in genetics/biochem?

A double major in genetics/biochem is a program of study that combines two related fields of science, genetics and biochemistry. This allows students to gain a deeper understanding of the chemical processes and structures that make up living organisms.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a double major in genetics/biochem?

There are several benefits to pursuing a double major in genetics/biochem. It allows students to gain a well-rounded education in both genetics and biochemistry, which are closely related fields. This can open up more career opportunities and give students a competitive edge in the job market. Additionally, it can provide a deeper understanding of how biological systems work and how they can be manipulated for scientific research or medical purposes.

3. Is a double major in genetics/biochem more challenging than a single major?

It can be more challenging to pursue a double major in genetics/biochem compared to a single major, as it requires a larger course load and a deeper understanding of both subjects. However, students who are passionate about these fields and have strong study habits can excel in a double major program.

4. Can I still pursue a career in genetics or biochemistry with a double major in genetics/biochem?

Yes, a double major in genetics/biochem can lead to a variety of career opportunities in both genetics and biochemistry. It can also be a great foundation for graduate studies in either field.

5. What are some potential courses I may take as part of a double major in genetics/biochem?

Some potential courses that may be included in a double major in genetics/biochem are genetics, biochemistry, molecular biology, cell biology, microbiology, and bioinformatics. Students may also have the opportunity to participate in laboratory research and gain hands-on experience in these fields.