1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Major Physics and Environmental Studies

1. Mar 14, 2015 #1
    So I'm really interested in climate science and I would possibly like to advise the government/world on climate policy as well as maybe go into environmental engineering. I'm also contemplating doing research in computational modeling since I enjoy CS. I was thinking of majoring in Physics and Environmental Studies. Does this sound like a good idea? What would my employment opps look like?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2015 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you really want to do environmental engineering, why not enter an environmental engineering program?

4. Mar 14, 2015 #3
    I go to a liberal arts school, so unfortunately that isn't an option...

5. Mar 14, 2015 #4
    The research you do will hold a lot more weight then your major. A student at my school, which is a small state school, majored in natural sciences but did a lot of research in atmospheric chemistry and is now at a top 10 phd program in physical/atmospheric chemistry. I'm not sure about job outlook but I'm sure its stronger with a PHD but I have seen job offerings locally around 4k a month with a bachelors doing air quality control work for the county government.

I would talk to the professor your doing research work with and ask what classes they recommend you take and major in whatever allows you to take the most classes he or she recommends.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook