Double majoring in animal science and/or physics and engineering?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the speaker's interests in animal science, physics, and engineering. They were curious about the amount of schooling required for a major in animal science and/or physics and engineering, as well as the possible job opportunities and potential for a PhD. The responder noted that this combination could be challenging but fulfilling, and suggested potential career paths such as engineering in the medical field or using computer science to track populations and run simulations.
Bellabob
I have always had a love for animals (especially reptiles, I have 5 snakes) and animal science. Especially conservation. But I have also discovered that I have a love for physics and engineering. How many years of schooling are we talking here if I major in somekind of animal science (say, zoology) and/or physics and engineering? What kind of jobs could I get with these degrees? Maybe even a PhD? I'm a sophmore in high school right now.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm probably not the best person to be answering this, but I'm kinda interested in this too. Engineering can be a difficult major and adding animal science to that could lead to a very stressful and busy schedule. That said I would imagine that such a combination would be very rewarding if that's where your passion lies. As for jobs: a mechanical/electrical engineer could probably find a niche in medicine, same goes for a chemical engineer, or if you went into computer science/engineering you could design software to track populations, run simulations, etc.
just my two cents

1. What are the benefits of double majoring in animal science and physics and engineering?

Double majoring in animal science and physics and engineering can provide a well-rounded education and open up a variety of career opportunities. Animal science offers a deep understanding of animal biology and behavior, while physics and engineering provide critical problem-solving and analytical skills. This combination can be particularly useful for those interested in fields such as biotechnology, veterinary medicine, or research and development in the animal industry.

2. Is it possible to double major in both animal science and physics and engineering?

Yes, it is possible to double major in both animal science and physics and engineering. However, it may require careful planning and time management as these majors often have a heavy course load. It is important to consult with academic advisors to develop a feasible plan and ensure that all requirements are met for both majors.

3. Are there any specific skills or prerequisites needed for double majoring in animal science and physics and engineering?

As with any major, it is helpful to have a strong foundation in math and science. For animal science, biology and chemistry courses may be beneficial, while physics and engineering majors may require a strong background in math and physics. It is important to check with the specific department for any specific prerequisites or recommended courses.

4. Can I still graduate in four years with a double major in animal science and physics and engineering?

While it is possible to graduate in four years with a double major in animal science and physics and engineering, it may require careful planning and potentially taking summer courses. It is important to work closely with academic advisors to create a feasible plan and stay on track for graduation.

5. What career opportunities are available with a double major in animal science and physics and engineering?

Double majoring in animal science and physics and engineering can open up a variety of career opportunities in fields such as biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, agricultural engineering, and animal research. Graduates may also pursue careers in veterinary medicine, animal nutrition, or wildlife conservation. The combination of knowledge and skills from both majors can make graduates highly competitive in the job market.