Double majoring in Mech E and Physics - Grad school

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate sophomore double majoring in Physics and Mechanical Engineering at Rutgers. They are considering pursuing a master's degree and PhD in Physics, but are concerned about their lack of physics research experience and ability to take graduate level courses. They are aiming for a top 10 school for Physics and are considering continuing research in mechanical engineering related to a branch of physics. The speaker is also seeking advice on whether this will hinder their chances of attending a school like Princeton, Berkeley, or MIT. The response suggests that Mech E research can be just as valuable as Physics research and offers recommendations for getting into a top 10 school, such as a high GPA, strong Physics GRE score, and quality research with publications and excellent letters of recommendation
thazard
I'm currently an undergraduate sophomore at Rutgers double majoring in Physics and Mechanical Engineering. I've recently made the decision that I want to go for a master's degree in physics and then potentially a PhD. However, I'm doing research in mechanical engineering right now and I don't think I'll have a strong enough physics background by next Fall to undertake physics research. My GPA is very high and I'm confident I can do well on the GRE, but the research aspect is concerning.

My goal is to get into a top 10 school for Physics. Is that achievable without having done research? I'm planning on continuing doing research in mechanical engineering related to some branch of physics (maybe thermal) and do research in physics my senior year, but I feel like I'm behind competitors. I also won't be able to take many graduate classes in physics (only 1-2). Will this hinder my chances of being able to attend a school like Princeton or Berkeley or MIT?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics research can sometimes be indistinguishable from Mechanical Engineering research, and vice versa - there is no sharp delineation.

In any event, I personally would focus less on the ranking of the prospective graduate school and more on the type of research you eventually want to do in graduate school.

thazard said:
I'm currently an undergraduate sophomore at Rutgers double majoring in Physics and Mechanical Engineering. I've recently made the decision that I want to go for a master's degree in physics and then potentially a PhD. However, I'm doing research in mechanical engineering right now and I don't think I'll have a strong enough physics background by next Fall to undertake physics research. My GPA is very high and I'm confident I can do well on the GRE, but the research aspect is concerning.

My goal is to get into a top 10 school for Physics. Is that achievable without having done research? I'm planning on continuing doing research in mechanical engineering related to some branch of physics (maybe thermal) and do research in physics my senior year, but I feel like I'm behind competitors. I also won't be able to take many graduate classes in physics (only 1-2). Will this hinder my chances of being able to attend a school like Princeton or Berkeley or MIT?

What sort of research are you doing in mechanical engineering? Thermodynamics or Fluid Dynamics research is pretty physics and math heavy, I doubt a physics professor would fault you on that if that's what you were doing; lots of people switch what they research from undergrad to graduate anyway; but the general skills like programming, electronics, data analysis, or machining are pretty transferable from discipline to discipline.

Maybe you should consider applying to applied physics programs. They are very interdisciplinary, you can do research in many different departments. Some of the best programs are Stanford, Harvard, Caltech, and Cornell.

thazard said:

A lot depends on the hard numbers. Some students think a 3.5-3.7 GPA is "very high." With a goal of a top 10 grad school in physics, 3.9-4.0 is high. I would not be confident in a Physics GRE score until it is in hand.

Mech E research can contribute as strongly to entrance into a top 10 Physics PhD program as research in a Physics department. It depends on what it is, what your mentor writes in his recommendation letter, and what your work products have been (posters, publications, computer programs, etc.)

My recommendations for getting into a top 10 school: 3.9-4.0 GPA, PGRE score at 90th percentile of above (940), high quality research yielding publications and excellent letters of recommendation (best undergrad ever rather than best undergrad this year).

Sure, there is some wiggle room if all areas are not that strong.

Also consider that the gatekeepers to most physics research opportunities care more about your work ethic than your physics prowess.

1. What is the benefit of double majoring in Mech E and Physics?

Double majoring in Mech E and Physics allows students to gain a strong foundation in both engineering and physics principles. This combination of skills and knowledge can be beneficial for pursuing graduate studies in a variety of fields, such as aerospace engineering, materials science, and quantum mechanics.

2. Is it possible to complete a double major in Mech E and Physics in 4 years?

It is possible to complete a double major in Mech E and Physics in 4 years, but it may require careful planning and taking a heavier course load each semester. It is important to consult with academic advisors to create a feasible plan that meets all graduation requirements for both majors.

3. How does a double major in Mech E and Physics prepare students for graduate school?

Double majoring in Mech E and Physics provides students with a well-rounded understanding of both theoretical and practical concepts in engineering and physics. This can be advantageous for graduate school as it demonstrates a strong foundation in both fields and the ability to think critically and analytically.

4. Are there any specific programs or concentrations within Mech E and Physics that are recommended for students considering graduate school?

It is recommended for students to choose a concentration or specialization within Mech E and Physics that aligns with their interests and desired field of study for graduate school. For example, if a student is interested in pursuing a graduate degree in aerospace engineering, they may want to focus on courses and research related to aerodynamics or propulsion systems.

5. Can a double major in Mech E and Physics lead to career opportunities outside of graduate school?

A double major in Mech E and Physics can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including engineering positions in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and defense, as well as research and development roles in government agencies or private companies. The combination of skills and knowledge from both majors can also be beneficial for careers in consulting, finance, and technology.