Double slit confusion from observed particle dynamics.

In summary: There exist a number of contending schools of thought, differing over whether quantum mechanics can be understood to be deterministic, which elements of quantum mechanics can be considered "real", and other matters. This question is of special interest to philosophers of physics, as physicists continue to show a strong interest in the subject.In summary, there are different interpretations of quantum mechanics that attempt to explain the nature of particles, such as electrons, during the double slit experiment. These interpretations include the idea that particles behave differently when being observed, and the possibility that the interference pattern disappears due to interaction with the particle. However, quantum mechanics and cosmology do not align with human intuition and continue to be a subject of ongoing study and debate.
Sicphys
Hey Guys,

I continue to get mixed messages about the nature of electron behaviour during the double slit experiment.

I have heard the term observation used to describe an interaction with the electron (Obviously necessitating a change in it's behaviour to facilitate the ballistic outcome).

But also I've had individuals swear by the idea that the electron KNOWS it's being observed and changes accordingly so that we are unable to achieve a wave pattern when testing if a single electron goes through both slits.

Can anyone clear this up once and for all?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sicphys said:
Hey Guys,

I continue to get mixed messages about the nature of electron behaviour during the double slit experiment.

I have heard the term observation used to describe an interaction with the electron (Obviously necessitating a change in it's behaviour to facilitate the ballistic outcome).

But also I've had individuals swear by the idea that the electron KNOWS it's being observed and changes accordingly so that we are unable to achieve a wave pattern when testing if a single electron goes through both slits.

Thanks.

Electrons of course don't "know" anything, BUT ... they ACT as though they know whether or not they are being observed. Based on human experience and intuition, this is nonsensical to the point of being impossible, but nature really doesn't care what we think, it just does what it does.

Can you cite any physics papers or similar?

I really don't know what to make of it if the double slit experiment truly shows the result being the electron acting as though it knows we are testing it without the interference negating the wave effect.

Sicphys said:
Hey Guys,

Thanks.

Whenever there is (select kind of) interaction with the photon, the behavior of the photon changes (due to change in the relative phase between the various paths). Whether a human/life-form is watching, or not, is irrelevant.

San K said:
Whenever there is (select kind of) interaction with the photon, the behavior of the photon changes (due to change in the relative phase between the various paths).

I find this idea intriguing. You seem to be implying that it is possible that the particle still takes both paths even after we measure it. It's just that by measuring it we have thrown the two paths out of phase, and so the interference pattern disappears.

I know that you weren't directly advocating such a position, but I find the possibility interesting, and I shall make a note to keep it in mind when contemplating other seemingly mysterious quantum effects.

I also wonder if there is any way to test whether the particle still takes both paths.

Sicphys said:
Can you cite any physics papers or similar?

I really don't know what to make of it if the double slit experiment truly shows the result being the electron acting as though it knows we are testing it without the interference negating the wave effect.

You are trying to understand quantum mechanics from the human perspective. I mean you no disrespect when I say that it has been tried by smarter people than either of us and as Richard Feyman (a VERY smart physicist) said "no one understands quantum mechanics".

Quantum mechanics and cosmology do NOT fit at all well with human intuition.

phinds said:
You are trying to understand quantum mechanics from the human perspective. I mean you no disrespect when I say that it has been tried by smarter people than either of us and as Richard Feyman (a VERY smart physicist) said "no one understands quantum mechanics".

Quantum mechanics and cosmology do NOT fit at all well with human intuition.

Feynman said that in 1965, since then we have not only come to understand it better, but better than the entirety of Feynman's knowledge on the subject.
If we truly did not understand many aspects of quantum mechanics, we couldn't produce such amazing inventions and innovations that we have presently.

I used to quote Feynman in the same manner when I was starting out learning Quantum mechanics. But to say that we do not have much of an understanding of quantum mechanics because one very smart man who pioneered in the field >50 years ago when it was still primitive in it's understand, devalues the entirety of our findings on the subject to date.

As with the post above discussing photon interaction, we yet again come back to whether the wave intereference pattern breaks down due to interaction with the particle "which logically makes sense" or some kind of "supernatural" intervention of the particle because we tried to observe it interfere with itself using detectors.

Sicphys said:
If we truly did not understand many aspects of quantum mechanics, we couldn't produce such amazing inventions and innovations that we have presently.

The understanding of QM is in the Mathematics but there are different Interpretations of quantum mechanics.

An interpretation of quantum mechanics is a set of statements which attempt to explain how quantum mechanics informs our understanding of nature. Although quantum mechanics has held up to rigorous and thorough experimental testing, many of these experiments are open to different interpretations.

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a famous physics experiment that involves shining a beam of particles, such as photons or electrons, through two parallel slits onto a screen. This experiment is used to demonstrate the wave-particle duality of matter, where particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

2. Why is the double slit experiment important?

The double slit experiment is important because it provides evidence for the wave-particle duality theory, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It also has implications for our understanding of the nature of reality and the behavior of matter at a microscopic level.

3. How does the double slit experiment work?

In the double slit experiment, a beam of particles is directed towards two parallel slits. As the particles pass through the slits, they diffract and create an interference pattern on a screen placed behind the slits. This pattern is different from what would be expected if the particles were traveling only as particles.

4. What is the confusion surrounding the observed particle dynamics in the double slit experiment?

The confusion surrounding the observed particle dynamics in the double slit experiment arises from the fact that particles behave like waves when passing through the slits, but when they are observed, they behave like particles. This is known as the observer effect or the measurement problem in quantum mechanics.

5. How does the double slit experiment impact our understanding of the universe?

The findings of the double slit experiment have challenged our traditional understanding of the universe and the behavior of matter. It has shown that particles can exhibit contradictory behaviors and that our observation can affect the outcome of an experiment. This has led to further exploration and theories in the field of quantum mechanics and has expanded our understanding of the universe.