1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double-slit diffraction with thin film interference

1. Nov 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A very thin sheet of plastic (n=1.70) covers one slit of a double-slit apparatus illuminated by 630 nm light. The center point on the screen, instead of being a maximum, is dark. What is the (minimum) thickness of the plastic?

2. Relevant equations

Constructive interference d*sinθ=m*λ where m=0,1,2,3,...

Destructive interference d*sinθ=(m+1/2)*λ where m=1,2,3,...

c=λ*f

c=c0/n

λ1*n1=λ2*n2

3. The attempt at a solution

Obviously this is a case of destructive interference so the sheet of plastic needs to shift the phase of that wave by λ/2. I am unsure of how to determine the thickness of the plastic necessary to make that happen though.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The thickness, t, of the plastic must be such that there is an extra 1/2 a wavelength in the plastic, compared to the number of wavelengths in the same thickness of air.

Index of refraction for air is ≈ 1 .

4. Nov 4, 2011 #3
    As stated above in my attempted solutions, I understand that the wavelength needs to be shifted by λ/2 but I don't understand how to use this to find out how thick the glass needs to be to shift the wave by that amount.

5. Nov 5, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If λ is the wavelength in air, then λ/n is the wavelength in the plastic, right?

How many waves of wavelength, λ/n, will fit in a layer of plastic having a thickness, t ?

How many waves of wavelength, λ, will fit in a layer of air having a thickness, t ?

The difference the the above two quantities must be 1/2.

6. Nov 5, 2011 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

number of waves in plastic: = t/(λ/η) = ηt/λ,

number of waves in: = ?

7. Nov 5, 2011 #6
    Ok, thanks, that helped a lot. For some reason I was blanking on how to get the number of waves in the thickness of the plastic, but I figured it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook