Double Slit Experiment and it's Results ?

In summary, the double-slit experiment shows that light behaves like a wave, but when it is dimmed and has a shorter exposure time, it is seen as a particle-like pattern. This is evidence to support the idea that electromagnetic fields are quantized.
kirsten_2009
Hello all,

I am just being introduced to quantum physics in my introductory physics course at university and I'm not sure I understand a couple of things...any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

So, when looking at the double-slit experiment; what can be seen on the viewing screen is an interference pattern consistent with the wave like properties of light...however, when the light passing through the slits is dimmed and the exposure time reduced; the same pattern is not observed and what is seen is a random particle-like pattern...but this is not interpreted as being particles of light hitting the viewing screen but are instead interpreted as evidence to support the idea that electromagnetic fields are quantized...? why? why can't we see this as evidence that light is a particle?

Also, I understand that energy is quantized...but the concept of what in energy is being quantized eludes me...is it the frequency at which the wave of energy travels? if it is the frequency...aren't higher frequencies of waves just different types of waves? (ex: gamma ray vs. x-rays?) I'm not sure if I make sense but I don't know how else to ask it...thanks in advance for any clarification.

Physics news on Phys.org
kirsten_2009 said:
why? why can't we see this as evidence that light is a particle?
Over time the pattern of individual spots on the viewing screen builds up into the same interference pattern that we see immediately with a more intense source; for an example, look at this sequence of images. There is no way of explaining this behavior with a simple particle model.

Also, I understand that energy is quantized...but the concept of what in energy is being quantized eludes me...is it the frequency at which the wave of energy travels?
The easiest way of thinking about it (not perfect, but a lot better than thinking of "particles" as little teeny objects traveling between the source and the screen like bullets) is to say that when an electromagnetic wave, be it light, or radio, or infra-red, or ultra-violet, or x-ray, or gamma, interacts with matter, it delivers its energy at single points. The are the individual spots that appear on the screen. The shorter the wavelength and the higher the frequency (that's the only difference between these various forms of electromagnetic radiation) the more energy is delivered each time another spot appears. The total energy delivered is the product of the number of spots and the amount of energy per spot.

Last edited:
Perfect! Thank you so much =)

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It involves shining a beam of particles or light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. What is the significance of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is significant because it challenges our understanding of the nature of light and matter. It shows that particles can also exhibit wave-like behavior, and vice versa, which goes against classical physics principles.

3. What are the results of the double slit experiment?

The results of the double slit experiment show an interference pattern on the screen, indicating that the particles or light beams behaved like waves and interfered with each other. This supports the idea of wave-particle duality.

4. How does the double slit experiment relate to quantum mechanics?

The double slit experiment is a key example in quantum mechanics, as it demonstrates the probabilistic nature of quantum particles and the uncertainty principle. It also challenges the classical notion of causality, as the behavior of particles cannot be predicted with certainty.

5. Can the double slit experiment be applied to other fields of science?

Yes, the principles of the double slit experiment have been applied to various fields such as optics, acoustics, and even electron microscopy. It has also been used to study the behavior of particles in complex systems, such as the human brain.