Double slit experiment for school

In summary, you can use a known width slit to get the wavelength of the light from the laser pointer and then use the pointer to find the width of a single hair.
thatoneguy6531
I have to do an experiment for my physics class and I was thinking of doing the double slit experiment. Ideally I'd like to do the single photon version if its possible but I realize that's probably too ambitious. If I used neutral density filters to reduce the output from a laser pointer how would I detect the photons? Would it be possible to use a digital camera? Also since I have to do this in my physics class another problem is getting the room dark enough. Could I use a box and cover any openings or would it not be big enough? Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
single-photon experiments will be beyond your means - even if you could afford the equipment (no - a digital camera is not sensitive enough, you can't just put a box over it etc) a typical experiment takes more than an hour to run so you cannot do it in just one class.

Why not do a normal diffraction experiment?
You can use a known width slit to get the wavelength of the light from the laser pointer and then use the pointer to find the width of a single hair.

Would you really expect a class of School kids to catch onto the intricacies of the statistics of single photon behaviour? Just catching onto the basics of how path difference affects the resulting vector addition of waves is quite enough. Believe me, I have spent a to of one-to-one time with A-level students, trying to get them to make sense of this and to be able to reproduce the derivation of the simple formulae for where you find the fringe max and mins.

How would you imagine that you could detect these single photons, in any case, and how long would you have for the experiment? A lesson in School is unlikely to last more than two hours. This is one of those situations where, if you have to ask about basic practical details, (as you have done,) then you can't rely having enough experimental knowledge or equipment to do the work.
Set up a convincing Young's Fringes demonstration and you will impress the class. Try any more and you will lose them. If you really want to relate this to photons then look around for a simulation app on the web,

I figured it would be much too advanced for me. I guess i'll just show the interference pattern then. Thanks for your help.

I would highly recommend the double slit experiment for your physics class project. It is a classic experiment that has been used for centuries to demonstrate the wave-particle duality of light. However, I understand your concerns about the feasibility of performing the single photon version.

Using neutral density filters to reduce the output from a laser pointer is a great idea. This will allow you to control the intensity of the light passing through the double slits. To detect the photons, you can use a digital camera with a high sensitivity and exposure time. You may also need to use a lens or a pinhole to focus the light onto the camera sensor. This will help in capturing the diffraction pattern produced by the double slits.

Regarding the issue of creating a dark enough room, using a box to cover any openings can work, but it may not be big enough to completely eliminate external light sources. I would suggest using a darkroom or a light-tight tent to conduct the experiment. These can be easily set up in a classroom or a laboratory setting.

In conclusion, the double slit experiment is a fantastic choice for your physics class project. It will not only help you understand the wave-particle duality of light but also teach you valuable experimental skills. I wish you all the best in your experiment and feel free to reach out for any further assistance.

What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the principles of wave-particle duality. It involves shining a beam of light or particles through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

What is the purpose of the double slit experiment?

The purpose of the double slit experiment is to demonstrate the wave-like behavior of particles and the particle-like behavior of waves. It also helps to illustrate the concept of superposition, where waves can overlap and interfere with each other.

What materials are needed for the double slit experiment?

The materials needed for the double slit experiment include a light source, two narrow slits, a screen or detector, and a barrier to block off one of the slits. For more advanced experiments, additional equipment such as polarizers, lenses, and filters may be required.

What are the main findings of the double slit experiment?

The main findings of the double slit experiment include the interference pattern formed by the waves passing through the slits, the ability of particles to behave as waves, and the observation that the act of measurement or observation can affect the outcome of the experiment.

How is the double slit experiment relevant to school education?

The double slit experiment is relevant to school education as it introduces students to important concepts in physics, such as wave-particle duality, interference, and superposition. It also encourages critical thinking and helps students develop their experimental skills and scientific reasoning.