1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double-slit experiment question

1. Jul 23, 2007 #1
    The question goes like this,
    From the 2-slit interference experiment, determine the position of the 1st maximum if lambda=400nm, d=1mm and D=10cm.

I've been reading through the experiment through external sites and none had given an example near the question. The question is, should i use Young's formula? What should i do first?

Thanks! ^_^

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Draw a diagram - it's just trig.
    Put all the dimensions in the same units.

4. Jul 25, 2007 #3
    how? i mean, draw a triangle and input the measurements? when the problem says find the maximum, is that the central maximum where n=0?

5. Jul 25, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Since the central maximum is always in the center, that wouldn't be much of a challenge, would it? The first maximum means the first non-central maximum: where m = 1 (or n = 1, depending on your notation) in the Young's double slit formula. (Read this: Double Slit Interference)

6. Jul 25, 2007 #5
    ok. since there was a calculator there, i just inputted the values. back to the main question: the question asks the position. is the position in terms of what units? the angle and the y-displacement?

7. Jul 25, 2007 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I assume that they want distance from the central maximum, which is the y-displacement.

8. Jul 25, 2007 #7
    ok thanks. last question. what is the physical explanation for the y-displacement? (sorry for this question. im just confused)

9. Jul 25, 2007 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In simple terms it's the point on the screen where the difference in distance from each slit is 1 wavelength.
    Here the two rays of light are in phase - the high points of the waves coincide - they add to give a maximum (bright point).
    Where the difference is half a wavelength, the maxmum of one aligns with the minimum of another and they combine to give a minima (dark point)

10. Jul 25, 2007 #9
    thanks for all the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?