Double slit experiment question?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether the gravity of the slit material in the double slit experiment could be the cause of the wave effect observed. The speaker suggests that instead of questioning the intelligence of physicists, a more productive approach would be to seek understanding of the phenomenon.
andyfox
Has anyone taken into account the gravity of the slit material causing the electrons to quiver and cause a wave effect in the double slit experiment?

Physics news on Phys.org
Uh ... I am NOT any expert on this but do you seriously think that one of the most fundamental experiments in quantum mechanics has been created and explained while overlooking something so fundamental?

Questioning things is all well and good, and I don't mean to suggest otherwise, but I think a much more healthy formulation of your question would be "why is it that the gravity of the slit material in the double slit experiment doesn't cause the electrons to quiver and thus be the source of the apparent wave effect?"

EDIT: to put it very starkly (and perhaps unfairly so) the wording of your question and my restatement of it can be read as

"Are physicists stupid enough to have overlooked ..."

v.s.

"There's something *I* don't understand ... "

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a fundamental experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-like nature of matter and the principle of superposition. It involves passing a beam of particles, such as electrons or photons, through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. What does the double slit experiment prove?

The double slit experiment proves the wave-particle duality of matter, meaning that matter can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. It also demonstrates the principle of superposition, which states that when two waves meet, their amplitudes add together to form a new wave.

3. What happens when the double slit experiment is performed with one particle at a time?

When the double slit experiment is performed with one particle at a time, the particles still exhibit an interference pattern on the screen, indicating that they behave like waves. This challenges the classical understanding that particles should only produce a single point of impact on the screen.

4. Why is the double slit experiment important?

The double slit experiment is important because it helped to shape our understanding of the fundamental nature of matter and the universe. It also paved the way for the development of quantum mechanics, which has had significant impacts on technology and our understanding of the microscopic world.

5. What are some real-world applications of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment has applications in various fields, including quantum computing, cryptography, and medical imaging. It has also been used to study the behavior of particles in complex systems, such as the behavior of electrons in superconductors.