1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double slit experiment question?

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1
    Has anyone taken into account the gravity of the slit material causing the electrons to quiver and cause a wave effect in the double slit experiment?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2011 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Uh ... I am NOT any expert on this but do you seriously think that one of the most fundamental experiments in quantum mechanics has been created and explained while overlooking something so fundamental?

Questioning things is all well and good, and I don't mean to suggest otherwise, but I think a much more healthy formulation of your question would be "why is it that the gravity of the slit material in the double slit experiment doesn't cause the electrons to quiver and thus be the source of the apparent wave effect?"

EDIT: to put it very starkly (and perhaps unfairly so) the wording of your question and my restatement of it can be read as

"Are physicists stupid enough to have overlooked ..."

v.s.

"There's something *I* don't understand ... "

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook