Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double slit experiment

1. Nov 19, 2014 #1
    i would be interested in seeing dbl slit experiment done with different patterns. i.e. instead of slits circles or one slit one circle etc. has this been done

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2014 #2
    Why? You can do it in principle, I'm not sure it would be terribly useful though.
    There's a few simulated images for 2-slit diffraction rectangular and circular apertures here.

4. Nov 19, 2014 #3
    Yes.

Some real pictures taken by me (not very good, but anyway), which you can compare with the simulations in the document Vagn posted above:

15831751615_ccb3ba534b_o.jpg

From left to right:
    1. Laser through a thin cloth, which is similar to "Diffraction from a rectangular aperture".
    2. Laser through one pinhole (not perfect circles; the pinhole was done in cardboard), which is equivalent to "Diffraction from a circular aperture". There is a better picture of this at the top of this page: Diffraction (Wikipedia).
    3. Laser through two pinholes (again, not perfect circles), which is equivalent to "Diffraction from two circular apertures".
    4. The setup, from bottom to top: laser module, barrier (in this case, thin cloth), and a screen showing the pattern.

And here's a clip from MIT describing the basic double slit experiment, including pictures of patterns from two pinholes, along with a description how to try it yourself:

Thomas Young's Double Slit Experiment
    http://video.mit.edu/watch/thomas-youngs-double-slit-experiment-8432/

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook