Double Slit Experiment: Pattern Variations

In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of conducting the double slit experiment with different patterns instead of traditional slits, such as circles or combinations of slits and circles. The person is interested in seeing if this has been done before and if it would be useful. The conversation also includes references to simulations and real images of patterns from various aperture configurations.
Thomasallenmd
i would be interested in seeing dbl slit experiment done with different patterns. i.e. instead of slits circles or one slit one circle etc. has this been done

Physics news on Phys.org
Thomasallenmd said:
i would be interested in seeing dbl slit experiment done with different patterns. i.e. instead of slits circles or one slit one circle etc. has this been done
Why? You can do it in principle, I'm not sure it would be terribly useful though.
There's a few simulated images for 2-slit diffraction rectangular and circular apertures here.

Likes bhobba
Thomasallenmd said:
Yes.

Some real pictures taken by me (not very good, but anyway), which you can compare with the simulations in the document Vagn posted above:

15831751615_ccb3ba534b_o.jpg
From left to right:
  1. Laser through a thin cloth, which is similar to "Diffraction from a rectangular aperture".
  2. Laser through one pinhole (not perfect circles; the pinhole was done in cardboard), which is equivalent to "Diffraction from a circular aperture". There is a better picture of this at the top of this page: Diffraction (Wikipedia).
  3. Laser through two pinholes (again, not perfect circles), which is equivalent to "Diffraction from two circular apertures".
  4. The setup, from bottom to top: laser module, barrier (in this case, thin cloth), and a screen showing the pattern.

And here's a clip from MIT describing the basic double slit experiment, including pictures of patterns from two pinholes, along with a description how to try it yourself:

Thomas Young's Double Slit Experiment
http://video.mit.edu/watch/thomas-youngs-double-slit-experiment-8432/

Last edited:

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a fundamental experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light and matter. It involves shining a beam of particles, such as photons or electrons, through two parallel slits onto a screen, and observing the resulting interference pattern.

2. What are the different pattern variations observed in the double slit experiment?

There are three main pattern variations observed in the double slit experiment: the single slit diffraction pattern, the double slit interference pattern, and the quantum interference pattern. The single slit diffraction pattern is observed when a single slit is used, and the resulting pattern is a series of concentric circles. The double slit interference pattern is observed when two slits are used, and the resulting pattern is a series of bright and dark fringes. The quantum interference pattern, also known as the "which-way" pattern, is observed when the experiment is performed with individual particles, and the resulting pattern shows the probability of the particle passing through each slit.

3. What factors affect the pattern variations in the double slit experiment?

The pattern variations observed in the double slit experiment are affected by several factors, including the wavelength of the particles, the distance between the slits, and the distance between the slits and the screen. Additionally, the presence of an observer or measurement apparatus can also affect the pattern, as it collapses the wave function and determines the particle's path.

4. What is the significance of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is significant because it provided evidence for the wave-particle duality of light and matter, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It also paved the way for further research and understanding of the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

5. How is the double slit experiment relevant to everyday life?

The double slit experiment may seem like an abstract concept, but it has many practical applications in technology. For example, the principles of interference and diffraction are used in the design of optical devices such as microscopes, telescopes, and cameras. The experiment also has implications in the development of quantum technologies, such as quantum computing and cryptography.