Double Slit Experiments with Electrons

In summary: ThanksBillI get the feeling you are approaching this with preconceived ideas. That's not the best way to come to grips with this...I have read a lot of material on this, but this is the first time I have encountered this particular idea.
Marceli
Are electron also wave as are photons. I can image electron as Gaussian pulse to preserve it dual particle-wave nature. Does it preserve own magnetic and electric field values and wave frequency?

Physics news on Phys.org
Marceli said:
Are electron also wave as are photons. I can image electron as Gaussian pulse to preserve it dual particle-wave nature. Does it preserve own magnetic and electric field values and wave frequency?
There IS no "wave particle duality". As has been explained on this forum approximately 6,000 times, that's an 80 year old concept that is totally deprecated today (but unfortunately persists due to some mistaken belief that it makes things easier to explain to beginners). Both photons and electrons are quantum objects, NOT particles and NOT waves.

Likes vanhees71
Thank you. Does it means quantum objects are not fields too (waves are mathematical description of fields and other in the space) ? Then it must be something else corresponding to space structure!

Last edited:
There's a gluon which holds quarks together.

Marceli said:
Thank you. Does it means quantum objects are not fields too (waves are mathematical description of fields and other in the space) ? Then it must be something else corresponding to space structure!
It means that they exhibit some wave characteristics and some particle characteristics, but that does NOT mean they are waves or particles

phinds said:
It means that they exhibit some wave characteristics and some particle characteristics, but that does NOT mean they are waves or particles

The correct statement of the wave-particle duality is sometimes it behaves like a particle, and sometimes like a wave - but really its neither.

The reason it's frowned on at the more advanced level is to know when that sometimes applies and exactly what like means you need the full QM machinery - so it hasn't really bought you anything.

Its fine for the stuff like the double slit experiment in beginner texts but once you venture into more advanced realms it quickly looses any value.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
The correct statement of the wave-particle duality is sometimes it behaves like a particle, and sometimes like a wave - but really its neither.
Isn't that exactly what I just said?

phinds said:
Isn't that exactly what I just said?

Pretty much.

Its just I understand explaining it in my language.

Sorry if I gave the impression what you wrote was wrong - it wasn't.

Thanks
Bill

Thank you for the QFT book I downloaded today. There I have found also that quantum objects are space entities (structure) which confirmed me mine long time feelings of mass origin following:
"By using colors to represent physical fields, we remind ourselves that fields are a property of space, not a separate substance in space."
Brooks, Rodney A. (2010-12-14). Fields of Color: The theory that escaped Einstein (Kindle Locations 306-307). Epic Publications. Kindle Edition.

Likes bhobba
Marceli said:
Thank you for the QFT book I downloaded today.

You are most welcome.

You are on the right track understanding QM correctly, not the often half truths, and to be blunt sometimes downright junk in popularisations. Remember however this is the most advanced version of QM - and is not what is usually chatted about here - although you can of course discuss it if you wish.

Thanks
Bill

Likes vanhees71
Now I have discrete space, time and single quantum objects or having composite quantum systems which can rise or collapse at discrete time. Now I can image to build communication composite channel to other star to communicate with advance civilisation as us. The fundamental question what is trigger delay time of making single composition? Does measurement will collapse whole composite system or only part to be sustainable? (Technically at first achievement need to entangle whole laser beam to use for quantum communication to make next steps.)

Last edited:
Some of those issues are treated in the book you downloaded.

Would it be possible for you to read it first then post with some questions?

Thanks
Bill

Likes mfb
Yes.

Merry Christmas
Marceli

I have finished reading recommended book. It much updated mine knowledge. I like bottom up description phenomena approach, therefore book should in beginning describes somehow what is time and distance. For example, If in quantum field time is discrete then distance must be too. Also seems for me to be nonsense if described fields creates distance, means space.

Marceli said:
For example, If in quantum field time is discrete then distance must be too.

Neither of those are discrete in QFT. It assumes Special Relativity where in an inertial frame space is assumed Euclidean and time continuous. It's an explicit assumption of that model.

Marceli said:
Also seems for me to be nonsense if described fields creates distance, means space.

Nothing in any of those references says anything even remotely like that.

I get the feeling you are approaching this with preconceived ideas. That's not the best way to come to grips with this stuff.

Thanks
Bill

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a double slit experiment with electrons?

A double slit experiment with electrons is a scientific experiment that involves shooting a beam of electrons through two narrow slits and observing the resulting interference pattern. This experiment is based on the wave-like behavior of electrons, which can exhibit interference patterns similar to those observed in light experiments.

2. How does a double slit experiment with electrons demonstrate the wave-particle duality of electrons?

A double slit experiment with electrons demonstrates the wave-particle duality of electrons by showing that electrons can behave like both particles and waves. The interference pattern observed in this experiment suggests that electrons have a wave-like nature, while the detection of individual electrons hitting the screen shows that they also have particle-like behavior.

3. Can a double slit experiment with electrons be performed with any type of electron beam?

No, a double slit experiment with electrons requires a coherent beam of electrons, meaning that the electrons must have the same energy and wavelength. This can be achieved using a particle accelerator or by using a heated filament to produce a thermionic emission of electrons.

4. Why is it important to perform a double slit experiment with electrons?

Performing a double slit experiment with electrons is important because it helps us understand the fundamental nature of matter and the universe. It also provides evidence for the wave-particle duality concept, which has significant implications for quantum mechanics and our understanding of the behavior of subatomic particles.

5. What other types of particles can be used in a double slit experiment?

A double slit experiment can be performed with any type of particle that exhibits wave-particle duality, such as photons, protons, and even small molecules. However, the wavelength of the particles must be within the size range of the slits for an interference pattern to be observed.