Double-Slit sin (2 theta) help?

In summary, the speaker is a junior in high school taking Physics and Trigonometry for the first time. They are struggling with a problem involving a double-slit experiment and are unsure if they need to use sin (2 theta). They are seeking help on a forum for physics homework.
MadMatt
I'm in physics I and only in Trig for the first time this year (Jr in HS).
I do not remember sin (2 theta) in any previous lessons.
I need in help in the following problem using it.

In a double-slit experiment with monochromatic light and a screen at a distance of 1.50 , the angle between the second-order bright fringe and the central maximum is 0.0230 rad. If the separation distance of the slits is 0.0350 mm, what are (a) the wavelength and color of the light and (b) the lateral displacement of the fringe.

I am so confused with the question. I'm not even sure i need the sin (2 theta) in here. Any help will be appreciated.

I am new to the site (found in a google search). So if this is the wrong forum, I appologize.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm moving this to the physics homework forum.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your physics problem. I am happy to assist you.

First, let's talk about the double-slit experiment. In this experiment, a beam of light is shone through two parallel slits and the resulting pattern on a screen is observed. This pattern is known as an interference pattern and is caused by the overlapping of the waves from the two slits.

Now, let's address the use of sin (2 theta) in this problem. In this experiment, theta represents the angle between the central maximum (the brightest spot on the screen) and the first-order bright fringe (the first bright spot next to the central maximum). The formula for the position of the bright fringes is given by d sin (theta) = mλ, where d is the distance between the slits, m is the order of the fringe, and λ is the wavelength of the light.

In your problem, the angle between the second-order bright fringe and the central maximum is given as 0.0230 rad. We can use this information to find the wavelength of the light. Rearranging the formula, we get λ = d sin (theta) / m. Plugging in the values, we get λ = (0.0350 mm)(sin 0.0230 rad) / 2 = 5.75 x 10^-7 m.

Now, to determine the color of the light, we can use the relationship between wavelength and color. The visible spectrum ranges from approximately 400 nm (violet) to 700 nm (red). Since our calculated wavelength is 5.75 x 10^-7 m, it falls within the visible range and can be classified as green light.

Moving on to part (b) of the problem, we need to find the lateral displacement of the fringe. This is the distance between the central maximum and the second-order bright fringe. We can use the formula d sin (theta) = mλ again, but this time we are solving for d. Rearranging the formula, we get d = mλ / sin (theta). Plugging in the values, we get d = (2)(5.75 x 10^-7 m) / sin 0.0230 rad = 0.0500 mm.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the problem better. Remember, in physics it is important to understand the concepts and formulas, rather than just memorizing

1. What is the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-like behavior of particles, such as light or electrons. It involves shining a beam of particles through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. How does the double-slit experiment demonstrate the wave-particle duality?

The double-slit experiment demonstrates the wave-particle duality by showing that particles can behave like waves and exhibit interference patterns, similar to how waves behave. This suggests that particles have both wave-like and particle-like properties.

3. What is the significance of the sin(2 theta) in the double-slit experiment?

The sin(2 theta) term in the double-slit experiment is a mathematical expression that describes the interference pattern produced by the two slits. It represents the relative phase difference between the waves passing through the two slits, and is essential in understanding the behavior of the particles in the experiment.

4. How can I calculate the sin(2 theta) value for a double-slit experiment?

The sin(2 theta) value can be calculated using the formula sin(2 theta) = (m * lambda) / d, where m is the order of the interference fringe, lambda is the wavelength of the particles, and d is the distance between the two slits. Alternatively, it can also be measured experimentally by analyzing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

5. Can the sin(2 theta) value be manipulated in a double-slit experiment?

Yes, the sin(2 theta) value can be manipulated by changing the experimental setup. For example, by adjusting the distance between the slits or the wavelength of the particles, the sin(2 theta) value can be altered, resulting in different interference patterns. This allows scientists to study the wave-particle duality of particles and further understand their behavior.