Double sum of same variable simplification help

In summary: For ##l = 1, l = 1 = n-m+k => k = m-n+1## this will make the first summation to be... ##\sum_{m-n+1}^m##. And so on. So when we sum them up, we get the second to last line.In summary, the conversation discusses the simplification of a summation expression involving two summation symbols and a known relationship between the variables. The conversation includes attempts to substitute and understand the resulting expression, with further clarification provided by another member. Eventually, the conversation leads to finding the desired result using a specific substitution for the variable k.
perplexabot
Gold Member
Hello all,
I have been meditating on this for a while, but can't seem to understand how this simplification came to be. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

So, here is what we start with:
##\mathop{\sum_{k=0}^m\sum_{l=0}^n}_{m{\geq}n} x(k,l)##
We also know that: l (lower case L) = n-m+k

and here is what my book ends with:
##\sum\limits_{k=m-n}^m x(k,n-m+k)##

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is my attempt, using the fact that l = n-m+k and substituting, I get:
##\mathop{\sum_{k=0}^m\sum_{n-m+k=0}^n}_{m{\geq}n} x(k,n-m+k)##

## = \mathop{\sum_{k=0}^m\sum_{k=m-n}^n}_{m{\geq}n} x(k,n-m+k)##

I then have no idea where to go from here : ( I tried substituting numbers for m and n and looked at what was happening, but that didn't help me much. Can someone please provide some insight please! I have been at this for a bit.

Thank you for reading.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
perplexabot said:
We also know that: l (lower case L) = n-m+k

If that is true then for a given value of [itex]k [/itex] there is only a single value of [itex] l [/itex]. So for a given value of [itex]k[/itex], the expression [itex] \sum_{l=0}^{n} x(k,l) [/itex] doesn't make sense since it implies that for a given [itex] k [/itex] you can vary [itex] l [/itex] over several different values. If we adopt the convention that [itex] \sum _{l=0}^{n} x(k,l) [/itex] shall mean the single term [itex] x(k,n-m+k) [/itex] then you could get the desired result.

using the fact that l = n-m+k and substituting, I get:
##\mathop{\sum_{k=0}^m\sum_{n-m+k=0}^n}_{m{\geq}n} x(k,n-m+k)##
## = \mathop{\sum_{k=0}^m\sum_{k=m-n}^n}_{m{\geq}n} x(k,n-m+k)##

When you substitute, you can't use [itex] k [/itex] as the name of the variable whose values are summed by the second summation [itex]
\sum_{l=0}^n [/itex] because the name [itex] k [/itex] is already in use as the variable for the first summation [itex] \sum_{k=0}^m [/itex]. The first argument of [itex] x(k,l) [/itex] refers to the [itex] k [/itex] that is summed by [itex] \sum_{k=0}^m [/itex].

Likes perplexabot
Hey, thank you for your reply. I still can't figure this out.

Stephen Tashi said:
If that is true then for a given value of [itex]k [/itex] there is only a single value of [itex] l [/itex].
I didn't think of this, but now that you mentioned it, wouldn't [itex] l [/itex] have infinite possible values? If you set [itex] k [/itex] to [itex] a [/itex] then you can have any value for [itex] n [/itex] and [itex] m [/itex] which results in [itex] l [/itex] having many values. What is wrong with this?
Stephen Tashi said:
So for a given value of [itex]k[/itex], the expression [itex] \sum_{l=0}^{n} x(k,l) [/itex] doesn't make sense since it implies that for a given [itex] k [/itex] you can vary [itex] l [/itex] over several different values. If we adopt the convention that [itex] \sum _{l=0}^{n} x(k,l) [/itex] shall mean the single term [itex] x(k,n-m+k) [/itex] then you could get the desired result.
I'm not sure what you mean here : ( I'm sorry, but I really am trying... I have to admit, the equation I supplied is modified from the original shown in the book. I will attach a copy of what I am struggling with maybe it will be better. Here it is (I understand everything until where it says "Thus for m ≥ n"):
Scanned%20Document.jpg

Stephen Tashi said:
When you substitute, you can't use [itex] k [/itex] as the name of the variable whose values are summed by the second summation [itex]
\sum_{l=0}^n [/itex] because the name [itex] k [/itex] is already in use as the variable for the first summation [itex] \sum_{k=0}^m [/itex]. The first argument of [itex] x(k,l) [/itex] refers to the [itex] k [/itex] that is summed by [itex] \sum_{k=0}^m [/itex].
Hmmm, ok that kind of makes sense. So what then shall we do in such a situation?

Thank you for your help : )

perplexabot said:
If you set [itex] k [/itex] to [itex] a [/itex] then you can have any value for [itex] n [/itex] and [itex] m [/itex] which results in [itex] l [/itex] having many values. What is wrong with this?

There's nothing to indicate that [itex] m [/itex] and [itex] n [/itex] are variables. They appear to denote constants.
I'm not sure what you mean here

To make an analogy with calculus, if you are finding [itex] \int ( \int f(x,y) dy) dx [/itex] and you use integration by subsitution to find [itex] \int f(x,y) dy [/itex] then you can do a substitution like [itex] y = 3u^2 [/itex], but you can't do the substitution [itex] y = 3x^2 [/itex] because the variable [itex] x [/itex] is already in use to denote a quantity that is independent of [itex] y [/itex].

In your example, the variable [itex] k [/itex] is already in use in the first summation. You can't introduce it as meaning a different variable in the second summation since the [itex] k [/itex] in [itex] x(k,l) [/itex] refers to the [itex]k [/itex] used in the first summation.

The correct analogy to what is given in the text is the statement "[itex] x(k,l) = 0[/itex] except when [itex] l = n - m + k[/itex] " (which is different than asserting " [itex] l = n - m + k [/itex] ").

Then [itex] \sum_{l=0}^n x(k,l) [/itex] has only one nonzero term, which is [itex] x(k,n-m+k) [/itex].

Perhaps there is also information in the text that [itex] x(k,n-m+k) [/itex] is zero for [itex] k < n-m [/itex], but I'd have to think about it further to see why.

Likes perplexabot
Thank you Mr.Tashi. I am still trying to figure out how they got those last two lines. I will report back if I find anything.

PS: Your calculus analogy was helpful.

Last edited:
I think I may have understood how they achieved the second to last line. So we know ##l = n - m + k## (else the equation will be zero). And we also know from the second summation that ## 0 ≤ l ≤ n ##. So I did the following to kind of see what was going on:

for ##l = 0, l = 0 = n-m+k => k = m-n## this will make the first summation to be ##\sum\limits_{k=m-n}^m x(k,n-m+k)##
for ##l = n, l = n = n-m+k => k = m## this will make the first summation to be ##\sum\limits_{k=m}^m x(k,n-m+k)##
for ##l = n-1, l = n-1 = n-m+k => k = m-1## this will make the first summation to be ##\sum\limits_{k=m-1}^m x(k,n-m+k)##

So after viewing these summations, I see it is for ##l =0## in which the first summation takes into account all possible values (or has the greatest summation intervals).

What do you think of this?

EDIT1: I think the last line is achieved from the one before by using the fact that ##\sum\limits_{k=0}^m x(k) = \sum\limits_{k=0+n}^{m+n} x(k-n)##
EDIT2: My first edit (EDIT1) may be wrong. I am still checking.

Last edited:

What is a "Double sum of same variable simplification"?

A double sum of same variable simplification is a mathematical process used to simplify an expression that involves adding multiple terms, each containing the same variable raised to different powers.

What is the purpose of simplifying a double sum of same variable?

The purpose of simplifying a double sum of same variable is to make the expression easier to understand and work with, as well as to potentially reveal patterns or relationships within the terms.

How do you simplify a double sum of same variable?

To simplify a double sum of same variable, you can use the properties of exponents and algebraic manipulation to combine like terms and reduce the number of terms in the expression. This often involves factoring and using the distributive property.

Are there any specific rules or formulas to follow when simplifying a double sum of same variable?

Yes, there are certain rules and formulas that can be helpful when simplifying a double sum of same variable. These include the power rule, product rule, and quotient rule for exponents, as well as the distributive property and factoring techniques.

Why is it important to simplify a double sum of same variable in scientific research?

Simplifying a double sum of same variable can help scientists better understand and analyze mathematical models and data in their research. It can also make equations and expressions more manageable and easier to work with, allowing for more accurate and efficient calculations and interpretations.