Doubt in the quantum harmonic oscillator

In summary, during a review of the harmonic oscillator with Sakurai, it was shown that the annihilation and creation operators, along with the number operator, can be used to find eigenstates and eigenvalues. It was also discovered that the spectrum of the number operator should be non-degenerate in order for the eigenstates to be labeled by their energy. However, there is no clear physical reason for this requirement in the context of a harmonic oscillator. More information can be found in introductory textbooks such as Griffiths.
Lebnm
I was reviewing the harmonic oscillator with Sakurai. Using the annihilation and the creation operators ##a## and ##a^{\dagger}##, and the number operator ##N = a^{\dagger}a##, with ##N |n \rangle = n | n \rangle##, he showed that ##a | n \rangle## is an eigenstate of ##N## with eigenvalue ##n - 1##, so he concludes that ##a | n \rangle \propto | n - 1 \rangle##. But, to it be true, the spectrum of ##N## should be non-degenerated, shouldn't it? Is this true? Can I proof this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You already label the eigen values by their energy, which relies on that the eigenvalues are non-degenerate.

Likes Lebnm
So, in the definition of the eigenstates of ##N##, I am imposing that they are non-degenerated, right? Is there some physical reason to do this? I can't see why the spectrum of ##N##, and consequently the spectrum of the hamiltonian, need to be non-degenerated in a harmonic oscillator.

Likes dextercioby
Lebnm said:
I can't see why the spectrum of ##N##, and consequently the spectrum of the hamiltonian, need to be non-degenerated in a harmonic oscillator.
You'll have to look in an introductory textbook, such as Griffiths.

What is the quantum harmonic oscillator?

The quantum harmonic oscillator is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle in a potential well. It is characterized by a potential energy function that is quadratic in the position of the particle.

Why is there doubt in the quantum harmonic oscillator?

There is doubt in the quantum harmonic oscillator because it is a simplified model that does not accurately represent the behavior of all physical systems. It also does not take into account the effects of relativity and other fundamental forces.

What is the uncertainty principle in the quantum harmonic oscillator?

The uncertainty principle in the quantum harmonic oscillator states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This is due to the wave-like nature of particles in quantum mechanics.

How does the quantum harmonic oscillator relate to real-world systems?

The quantum harmonic oscillator is a useful model for understanding the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other microscopic systems. However, it is not an accurate representation of larger, more complex systems such as solids or liquids.

What are some applications of the quantum harmonic oscillator?

The quantum harmonic oscillator has applications in various fields, including quantum computing, spectroscopy, and quantum optics. It is also used in the development of new technologies such as lasers and atomic clocks.