Exponential of momenta to entangle harmonic oscillators

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the time evolution of a system of two harmonic oscillators with a coupling mechanism described by the Hamiltonian H=P_A P_B. The process involves decomposing the exponential term and using the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff (BCH) formula. It is suggested to add the free non-interacting HO Hamiltonian and use the BHC relation to diagonalize the Hamiltonian.
matteo137
TL;DR Summary
What is the state evolution under a P*P entangling Hamiltonian
Consider two harmonic oscillators, described by annihilation operators [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex], both initially in the vacuum state. Let us imagine that there is a coupling mechanism governed by the Hamiltonian [itex]H=P_A P_B[/itex], where [itex]P_i[/itex] is the momentum operator for the oscillator [itex]i[/itex]. For example [itex] P_A = (a-a^\dagger)/(i\sqrt{2}) [/itex].

I would like to derive the time evolution
[tex]
\vert \psi \rangle = e^{-i t P_A P_B} \vert 0,0 \rangle
[/tex]
but it is not very clear to me how to proceed. I can decompose the exponential as [itex]e^{i \mu P_A P_B} = e^{i t P_A (b-b^\dagger)}[/itex], and using [itex][P_A b, - P_A b^\dagger]=-P_A^2 [/itex] in the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff (BCH) formula I obtain [itex] e^{i t P_A (b-b^\dagger)}=e^{i t P_A b} e^{-i t P_A b^\dagger} e^{- \frac{t^2}{2} P_A^2} [/itex]. If needed the BCH can be applied once more to [itex]P_A[/itex]. However, I'm not sure if this is useful, or how to continue from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
The hamiltonian you provide is only the interaction. To this one must add the free non-interacting HO hamiltonian ##\omega_a a^\dagger a + \omega_b b^\dagger b##. Once this is added use the BHC relation to

##e^{itH}|0,0\rangle##

where

##H = \omega_a a^\dagger a + \omega_b b^\dagger b + P_AP_B##

good luck!

You could probably diagnaolize that Hamiltonian with a linear combination of ##a##s and ##b##s.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the concept of exponential of momenta to entangle harmonic oscillators?

The exponential of momenta to entangle harmonic oscillators is a mathematical concept used to describe the quantum states of two or more coupled harmonic oscillators. It involves taking the exponential of the sum of the momenta of each oscillator, which results in a state that is entangled and cannot be described by the individual states of each oscillator.

2. How does the exponential of momenta to entangle harmonic oscillators work?

The concept of exponential of momenta to entangle harmonic oscillators works by considering the momentum operators of each oscillator and taking the exponential of their sum. This results in a state that is a superposition of all possible states of the coupled oscillators, and is known as an entangled state.

3. What are the applications of exponential of momenta to entangle harmonic oscillators?

The exponential of momenta to entangle harmonic oscillators has various applications in quantum mechanics, particularly in quantum information and quantum computing. It is also used in the study of quantum entanglement and quantum teleportation.

4. Can the exponential of momenta to entangle harmonic oscillators be observed in real-world systems?

Yes, the exponential of momenta to entangle harmonic oscillators has been observed in various physical systems, such as coupled quantum dots, superconducting circuits, and coupled atoms in optical lattices.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with the exponential of momenta to entangle harmonic oscillators?

One limitation of the exponential of momenta to entangle harmonic oscillators is that it only works for a specific type of coupling between the oscillators, known as linear coupling. Additionally, the entangled state created by this method is very sensitive to external disturbances, making it challenging to maintain and manipulate in real-world applications.