Doubt regarding least upper bound?

In summary, the logic in this problem appears to be correct, but there is a missing word that would make the argument valid.
Alpharup
I am using Spivak Calculus. I have a general doubt regarding the definition of least upper bound of sets.
Let A be any set of real numbers and A is not a null set. Let S be the least upper bound of A.
Then by definition "For every x belongs to A, x is lesser than or equal to S"

Let M be an upper bound such that M is less than S and M does not belong to A(Assertion 1)

Then, it leads to contradiction because A is bounded above by M and M is less than least upper bound S, which means an upper bound is less than least upper bound.
So, we have either M=S or M>S. So, Assertion 1 is false.

Then by converse of Assertion 1, if N is less than S, it may belong to A but can't be an upper bound or

if N is less than S, it may not belong to A. (Assertion 2)

Is my logic right?

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as your "or" and "and" are taken as logical operators and not English conjunctions, your loigic seems OK.

Alpharup said:
I am using Spivak Calculus. I have a general doubt regarding the definition of least upper bound of sets.
Let A be any set of real numbers and A is not a null set. Let S be the least upper bound of A.

Let M be an upper bound such that M is less than S and M does not belong to A(Assertion 1)

Then, it leads to contradiction because A is bounded above by M and M is less than least upper bound S, which means an upper bound is less than least upper bound.
My take on this is that S really wasn't the least upper bound.

Consider the set ##A = \{x \in \mathbb{R} | 0 \le x \le 1\}##; i.e., the open interval (0, 1).
I claim that 1.5 is the lub for A. I later notice that 1 is not an element of A, and 1 < 1.5. This doesn't contradict anything, as all I have really done here is to mistakenly identify 1.5 as the lub.

Alpharup said:
That's a property that every upper bound has, not just the least upper bound. To uniquely refer to the "least upper bound you must add "if M is an upper bound on A then [itex]S\le M[/itex]

This is not an "assertion" because it is not a complete statement. You have defined M to have certain properties but have not said anything about it.
And "let M be an upper bound such that M is less than S" violates the definition of least upper bound. Such an M does not exist.

Then by converse of Assertion 1, if N is less than S, it may belong to A but can't be an upper bound or
if N is less than S, it may not belong to A. (Assertion 2)

Is my logic right?
A number that is less than the least upper bound is cannot be an upper bound by definition of "least"!

HallsofIvy said:
A number that is less than the least upper bound is cannot be an upper bound by definition of "least"!
That seems to have omited one word and should have read:

A number that is less than the least upper bound is cannot be a least upper bound by definition of "least"!

Edit: Doh, I misunderstood.

Last edited:
No, it should be exactly what I said! Please read it again!

Likes jbriggs444

1. What is the definition of a least upper bound?

A least upper bound is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in a set. In other words, it is the smallest number that is still larger than all the other numbers in the set.

2. How is a least upper bound different from a maximum or a supremum?

A maximum is the largest number in a set, while a supremum is the least upper bound if it exists. A least upper bound can exist even if a maximum does not, and it is not necessarily equal to the maximum or supremum of a set.

3. Can a set have more than one least upper bound?

No, a set can only have one least upper bound. This is because a least upper bound is the smallest number that is still larger than all the other numbers in the set, so any other number that is also larger would not be considered the least upper bound.

4. How do you prove the existence of a least upper bound in a set?

To prove the existence of a least upper bound in a set, you must show that the set has an upper bound (i.e. a number that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in the set) and that this upper bound is the smallest possible number that satisfies this condition.

5. Can a set of real numbers have a least upper bound if it is unbounded?

Yes, a set of real numbers can have a least upper bound even if it is unbounded. This is because a least upper bound does not have to be a part of the set itself, but rather just a number that is larger than all the numbers in the set.