Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community

  • Thread starter Thread starter 42Physics
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
142 replies · 35K views
Does the Tardis still look like a 1969 police phone box in London, or did the Dr. manage to fix the fluid link yet?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
rootone said:
Does the Tardis still look like a 1969 police phone box in London, or did the Dr. manage to fix the fluid link yet?
That would be a 1963 police box, and it is the chameleon circuit that failed. (There really was nothing wrong with the fluid link, The Doctor just said there was as an excuse to explore the Dalek city.)
 
rootone said:
Does the Tardis still look like a 1969 police phone box in London, or did the Dr. manage to fix the fluid link yet?
Colin Baker's Sixth Doctor was the only incarnation of the Doctor to fix the Chameleon Circuit.

Series finale is on tonight here in Australia.
 
Axon said:
Colin Baker's Sixth Doctor was the only incarnation of the Doctor to fix the Chameleon Circuit.
I just finished watching that season this week. I wouldn't call what he did "fixing". He may have inserted something backwards into the circuit, as It seemed to pick objects that were quite extraordinarily out of place.
I think the first occurrence was a very expensive looking antique cabinet in a junk yard.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Silicon Waffle
I learn some of the strangest things watching Dr. Who.
Today I learned that Captain Kangaroo's theme song, Puffin' Billy, was earlier associated with a BBC children's radio program.
Season 25 Episode 2
Remembrance of the Daleks, part 2

I normally don't look up every odd thing I come across, but the setting was London, in 1963, and I thought it was very odd that they would be listening to Captain Kangaroo on the radio.

But I am quite familiar with the "Fire of London" now. It was referenced in one episode, at the very end, that the Doctor may have had something to do with it. Then they had a later episode where it actually happened.
strangerep said:
One wonders if there was really a shortage a sufficiently talented actors in Britain, or whether this just reflects the various directors' favorites. :oldbiggrin:
...

I haven't noticed any "recycled" actors lately.
I've also only recognized two people.
John Cleese, who I know from Monty Python, did a cameo appearance in season 17.
Patricia Quinn, who portrayed Magenta in the Rocky Horror Picture Show, was in one series during season 24.

I have just started season 25 today.
 
I am also a big fan of doctor who and am lucky to have netflix since they put the newest episodes out only a few days after they air due to their contract.
All in all I personally like any episode with both David Tennant ( or Matt smith) and River Song since you know somethings going to go big.
The episode " ANGELS IN MANHATTEN" was an amazing show of the Weeping Angels true determination.
 
Devastated that they're is no new series for 2016.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
yeah love it but not much of a fan of the new doctor
 
I had to go back and look at the date on these. No replies since 2013?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
tobyr65 said:
I had to go back and look at the date on these. No replies since 2013?

The post above yours was made in March of this year.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
tobyr65 said:
I had to go back and look at the date on these. No replies since 2013?
Huh? Posts on this page are from 2015 - 2016.

I'm also not a huge fan of Capaldi, though I think his 2nd season was better than his first -- except for his music. ?:)

Transplanting Arya Stark o_O into the main story arc was an interesting attempt, but I'm not sure it really worked. Tbh, I'm having trouble recalling any memorable episodes from the latest season. I hope they can find an interesting new companion for the next series.

Quick Quiz/Contest: In http://www.doctorwho.tv/50-years/companions, what do you reckon each one is saying/thinking?

I'd say the majority are thinking "WTF??". Except for Wilfred Mott who is totally speechless. :biggrin:

And Donna Noble, who's thinking: "OMG! He's got 2 hearts -- does he have 2 of anything else?" :nb)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland and Drakkith
Rolen said:
Mine is Tennant and Rose.
i second this
but when he had K-9 with him he was awsome
 
strangerep said:
I'm also not a huge fan of Capaldi, though I think his 2nd season was better than his first [...]
Reactivating this thread after a long break...

I'm kinda glad Capaldi's tenure has come to an end. I'm sure he tried his best, but I just found him mostly boring -- boredom only exceeded by Pearl Mackie's character "Bill" who was excruciatingly tedious. They never really got proper value from Matt Lucas's character, imho, though he does his best with the script(s) he's been given.

And now: 13th Doctor = Jodie Whittaker. I really like her in other roles, but,... as a female Dr Who?? Hmmm.
Yes, it seems that Dr Who has totally jumped the WHALE. :doh:
 
strangerep said:
Reactivating this thread after a long break...

I'm kinda glad Capaldi's tenure has come to an end. I'm sure he tried his best, but I just found him mostly boring -- boredom only exceeded by Pearl Mackie's character "Bill" who was excruciatingly tedious. They never really got proper value from Matt Lucas's character, imho, though he does his best with the script(s) he's been given.

I liked Capaldi but the latest series wasn't the best. He and Coleman had a lot better chemistry.

strangerep said:
And now: 13th Doctor = Jodie Whittaker. I really like her in other roles, but,... as a female Dr Who?? Hmmm.
Yes, it seems that Dr Who has totally jumped the WHALE. :doh:

Its a show about a thousand year old, two hearted, immortal time traveller who goes to ridiculously inconsistent places and times that are almost always a reflection (AKA stereotype) of some aspect (often idealised) of British culture. Why on Earth is the Doctor being a woman an issue?!
 
Ryan_m_b said:
[Capaldi] and Coleman had a lot better chemistry.
Yes.

Its a show about a thousand year old, two hearted, immortal time traveller who goes to ridiculously inconsistent places and times that are almost always a reflection (AKA stereotype) of some aspect (often idealised) of British culture.
Certainly there are plenty of episodes like that. But "almost always"? Dunno about that. What idealised aspect of British culture is reflected in The Rings of Akhaten or Blink (besides being set in Britain)? And the Weeping Angels in general?

Why on Earth is the Doctor being a woman an issue?!
Heh, because she'll probably acquire an attractive young male companion at some point, which I'd find really boring.

Oh! Did I actually say that out loud? :blushing:
 
Ryan_m_b said:
Why on Earth is the Doctor being a woman an issue?!

It's disturbing that people don't seem to see the difference between this and say, a female CEO. The Doctor is a person, not a job description. If they wanted a female lead they could have Jodie Whittaker as Romana and then write the Doctor out for a season. Yes, they said that Time Lords can change gender, but they also said that they could have "two heads, or no head." (Parting of the Ways, 2005) But would that make a good series?
 
Algr said:
It's disturbing that people don't seem to see the difference between this and say, a female CEO. The Doctor is a person, not a job description.

The Doctor is more than a dozen different people. They change out the actor more often than some companies change out CEO's, making the Doctor an entirely new person each time.
 
Drakkith said:
making the Doctor an entirely new person each time.

That doesn't mean he has no identity at all. Would it bother you if Jodie Whittaker played the role without a head?
 
Forget I asked. But, I wonder what her sonic screwdriver will be like?
 
Algr said:
That doesn't mean he has no identity at all.

His identity as a character is not heavily tied to his current personality in my opinion.
 
The Doctor's personality has been quite consistent over 50 years. He is dismissive of authority, yet able to project his own easily. He is curious, restless. Occasionally prone to dark moods, depression, and self doubt. He respects science, rationality and learning. (I miss this in the new series, BTW.) He is contemptuous of those who use physical force to solve problems. Wants to get involved and help people. Feels lonely. Wants companionship, but gets overwhelmed with knowing too many people.

Peter Davison's casting was controversial because he was so young. He played the role as a "old man in a young man's body" . This has become the tradition when younger actors are cast, hence the Doctor's squeamishness with things like sexual relations.

Will Jodie Whittaker continue with the "Old man in a..." bit? The consequences of this will require better writing then we have seen lately.
 
Last edited:
Algr said:
The Doctor's personality has been quite consistent over 50 years. He is dismissive of authority, yet able to project his own easily. He is curious, restless. Occasionally prone to dark moods, depression, and self doubt. He respects science, rationality and learning. (I miss this in the new series, BTW.) Wants to get involved and help people. Feels lonely. Wants companionship, but gets overwhelmed with knowing too many people.

It's a bit difficult for me to get into the subtleties of personality traits since we're dealing with a fictional character whose behavior changes with each iteration. I would call these "overarching" character traits that define the broadest aspects of the Doctor as a character/person, and indeed the Doctor wouldn't be the Doctor otherwise. But these are only broad traits that I don't feel adequately describe the way his behavior changes with each change in actor. Looking at the above personality traits, you would undoubtedly find thousands of fictional characters (and even more non-fictional people) of both genders that fit that profile.

Each actor brings with them a suite of more specific traits that makes their version of the Doctor unique. These are the things that make people like one version of the Doctor more than the others. They are essentially the things that make specific people different from each other. I guess you could call them the little details that make each person unique. These are the things that change with each iteration and are what I mean't by "personality" in my previous post. I hope that makes sense.

Algr said:
Peter Davison's casting was controversial because he was so young. He played the role as a "old man in a young man's body" . This has become the tradition when younger actors are cast, hence the Doctor's squeamishness with things like sexual relations.

Will Jodie Whittaker continue with the "Old man in a..." bit? The consequences of this will require better writing then we have seen lately.

I don't see why it would be that difficult. Almost all of the traits that apply to the "Old man in a young man's body" would seem to apply to "Old woman in young woman's body" or "Old person in young person's body". At least in my opinion.