Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community
- Thread starter 42Physics
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
142 replies · 35K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
- 3,766
- 2,215
Sorry Ryuu, I only saw your post just now...

I still like the original theme & video the best.
Ha, no. (You realize those episodes were pre-VCR, right?)Ryuu said:you woundn't happen to have recordings of them all, do you?
The thing that makes me laugh the most about Tom Baker is the stories/rumors about his off-screen behaviour: a bit too keen on fondling the young female actresses. (He wouldn't get away with that these days.) The mischief is still in his eyes during his cameo as the "curator" at the end of Matt Smith's final episode, so I guess the "naughty boy" is still in there...Baker was the Doctor when I first started to watch. [...]
I liked Eccleston (& Piper), but Tennant... not so much.I really liked Ecellson & Tennant
I still like the original theme & video the best.
Last edited:
Science Advisor
- 3,766
- 2,215
I just saw the 1st episode of the 12th -- I was quite happy with it, except for the (modified-yet-again) opening titles and theme music. Less frenetic -- which I find good -- but never as mysterious as the original series' "slightly menacing, acid-trip" theme.Drakkith said:Is Dr. Who on air again?
[BTW, I see there's also a new season of Torchwood. Good that they're trying, but I can't give it many credit points so far.]
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlTFMp7_e6o
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,712
- 7,804
I watched the original Dr. Who in 1964 (William Hartnell 1963-1966). I moved from Australia to the US and lost TV for a while.
My all time favorite Dr. Who is Tom Baker (with Sarah and Romana). I watched his episodes and was sad to see him depart.
While I appreciate the efforts of 5 through 8 and later, Baker will always be the premiere DW - IMO.
I did see some recent episodes (with 10th and 11th DWs), and the plots were quite clever.
My all time favorite Dr. Who is Tom Baker (with Sarah and Romana). I watched his episodes and was sad to see him depart.
While I appreciate the efforts of 5 through 8 and later, Baker will always be the premiere DW - IMO.
I did see some recent episodes (with 10th and 11th DWs), and the plots were quite clever.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 42,895
- 983
So, still no female doctor! I'm still waiting!
(Yes, Tom Baker was the doctor- that pretty much goes without saying.)
(Yes, Tom Baker was the doctor- that pretty much goes without saying.)
AnTiFreeze3
- 246
- 9
HallsofIvy said:So, still no female doctor! I'm still waiting!
(Yes, Tom Baker was the doctor- that pretty much goes without saying.)
Never seen the show, but during dinner last night, two friends had a debate as to why the doctor can't be, say, a gay male or maybe a woman. According to a friend who's seen all the episodes, the doctor's reincarnations are controlled by him in that he reappears closely to what he identifies as. He was born a straight white male, and identifies as a straight white male, so he'll continue to reincarnate as a straight white male. That's as much influence as he has over the process, though.
In retrospect, using the word "identify" makes me come off as one of the LGBTQRRRR779-ZZ people that refuse to be referred to in normal human pronouns, etc. etc. But since the Dr. is a straight white guy, and he's comfortable as such, he'll continue to be one.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Astronuc said:Baker will always be the premiere DW - IMO.
HallsofIvy said:(Yes, Tom Baker was the doctor- that pretty much goes without saying.)
There is nothing more ironic than a Who fan who is stuck in the past.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 42,895
- 983
Well, Dr. Who was for most of the Tom Baker episodes!
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
True, and mostly in about 16th Century England by the looks of things...
Enigman
- 647
- 311
HallsofIvy said:So, still no female doctor! I'm still waiting!
Still maybe a female Master, though...
shukujo
- 1
- 0
I have seen both episodes 1 and 2 of the currently airing season 8 - it's going to take some time for me to become acclimated to the new doctor's style, it is much more subtle than previous recent doctors have been. very much doubt we'll be seeing much in the way of a "geronimo!" or even an "allon-Z!" from this doctor. That being said, the actor himself seems to be padding around in a circle on his favorite cushion, like a cat or small dog will before settling down for a nap. The new teacher at Clara's school looks to be a good prospect for the Companion B spot, & he's quite dashing, isn't he? I look forward to future episodes.
Enigman
- 647
- 311
Allons-y, actually. French for "Let's Go!".
Twelfth may find a more inconspicuous catch word like the ninth, though.
Twelfth may find a more inconspicuous catch word like the ninth, though.
~HAVOC~
- 2
- 0
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/6725378/Complete_Original_Doctor_Who
i want to say this has every extra and all a total of 800+ doctor who episodes enjoy :)
all the classic old doctors that is lol
i want to say this has every extra and all a total of 800+ doctor who episodes enjoy :)
all the classic old doctors that is lol
Enigman
- 647
- 311
I want a new companion like Ace or Capt. Harkness; Clara bores me and doesn't fit with Capaldi... She may have been bearable with the teenager on sugar high 11th but with 12th she just doesn't work.
Science Advisor
- 3,766
- 2,215
I agree -- but I was bored with her even with Matt Smith. Strangely, a young Billie Piper with older Christopher Eccleston seemed to work fine, imho.Enigman said:Clara bores me and doesn't fit with Capaldi... She may have been bearable with the teenager on sugar high 11th but with 12th she just doesn't work.
Come to think of it, I got bored quickly with Martha Jones, and as for Donna Nobel -- couldn't stand her. Also Mickey Smith and Rory (companions 2nd class). Amy Pond was just bearable.
Dunno about the 12th doctor series though. I'm only up to the 3rd episode, but I get the distinct impression that nobody really knows what they're supposed to be doing.
Enigman
- 647
- 311
strangerep said:Dunno about the 12th doctor series though. I'm only up to the 3rd episode, but I get the distinct impression that nobody really knows what they're supposed to be doing.
Character development imo, is really not one of Moffat's strong points. He often sacrifices fleshing out a character for a flashier and more convoluted plot line and twists the characters into fitting the plot.* Right now I am getting a sense more of 7th Doctor with all the talking people around into submitting/jumping of skin balloons...
As for Coleman, I liked the premise of the character but now the impossible girl who could hack into the Dalek prison and Great Intelligence is teaching English and going on bad dates...
*I'm not complaining about the convolutions but RTD did the characters so much better...
Enigman
- 647
- 311
The 4th - 5th - 7th - 10th - 11th Doctors give the Stone Henge speech (impressions).
Algr
- 949
- 497
Okay. The moon is a giant egg. Clara can tell off the writers while she is at it.
Science Advisor
- 3,766
- 2,215
I share your sentiment, but,... it made me wonder: why is "moon-as-giant-egg" more outrageous/ridiculous than the concept of the Tardis itself?Algr said:Okay. The moon is a giant egg. Clara can tell off the writers while she is at it.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 35,014
- 21,725
I agree. That was awful. That story needed an editor badly. Not only was the story terrible, it didn't really fit any of the characters. The Spock's Brain of Doctor Who.
Enigman
- 647
- 311
Enigman said:![]()
Twelfth may find a more inconspicuous catch word like the ninth, though.
I like the new catch phrase.
Algr
- 949
- 497
strangerep said:I share your sentiment, but,... it made me wonder: why is "moon-as-giant-egg" more outrageous/ridiculous than the concept of the Tardis itself?
Current physics has some "definite maybes" when it comes to time travel. Even Hawking said that he felt that the best argument against it was that "we are not besieged with tourists from the future." But for the moon - we just know too much about it for the space dragon to be plausible. What is it eating? Wouldn't the embryo's growth cause obvious changes to the surface of the moon? (It can't be solid like an eggshell.) What does flapping it's tail accomplish? Shouldn't gravity crush the dragon into a ball?
Enigman
- 647
- 311
Enigman
- 647
- 311
I loved Matheison's writing of both the Orient express and Flatline. Three more episodes to go. :(
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 35,014
- 21,725
I thought Mummy was OK, but I really liked Flatline. It was the most serious Dr. Who in a long time, and at the same time, the funniest.
"It’s bigger on the inside"
“I don't think that statement has ever been truer.”
"It’s bigger on the inside"
“I don't think that statement has ever been truer.”
Enigman
- 647
- 311
I can hear River screaming for blood after the last episode...silence in the library be damned.
Science Advisor
- 3,766
- 2,215
Huh?? If you're referring to the pash, you do realize it's Capaldi she's snogging, right,...?Enigman said:I can hear River screaming for blood after the last episode...silence in the library be damned.

:D
Enigman
- 647
- 311
Basically what I want the finale to be...
http://unrealityshout.com/files/imagecache/image_460/river-song-stormcage.jpg
http://unrealityshout.com/files/imagecache/image_460/river-song-stormcage.jpg
Last edited by a moderator:
AlabamaCajun
- 5
- 0
Wow, I still have a lot to catch up on. I saw a few shows from the original in the 70s then heard people talking about it this year and decided to get the DVDs. Cable is the only place we get it in lower Alabama and it's on a tier I don't have. I've been pulling in a backlog of DVDs including the classics.
I have to say, the BBC has done a great job with the series capturing the old style and bringing it to the new century. I'm in mid Tennant-Ageyman 3 series so this is all spoilers (NP). I have to agree with Willbell the physics and science is off enough that it's funny where other Shows and Movies try to get it right you find yourself trying to correct it. A working sonic is probably on the top of my list, that would be most handy to fix so many problems. And a tardis, it's smaller on the outside so less taxes for where you park it.
I have to say, the BBC has done a great job with the series capturing the old style and bringing it to the new century. I'm in mid Tennant-Ageyman 3 series so this is all spoilers (NP). I have to agree with Willbell the physics and science is off enough that it's funny where other Shows and Movies try to get it right you find yourself trying to correct it. A working sonic is probably on the top of my list, that would be most handy to fix so many problems. And a tardis, it's smaller on the outside so less taxes for where you park it.