1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Draw the vectors head to tail so they make a triangle

1. Feb 2, 2008 #1
    Draw the vectors head to tail so they make a triangle

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start with the first one. Draw the vectors head to tail so they make a triangle. The information they are giving you tells you some sides and angles in the triangle. Use trig.

4. Feb 2, 2008 #3
    Ya thats the part I don't know how to do

Because it # 11 it gives you Vector a = 5 cm long (the magnitude I believe) then it says C or the Resultant is also 5.0 cm long and the angle between A and C is 70 degrees I have no idea how to draw that. I'm used to going in the fashion of Vector A (polar or rectangular) + Vector B (polar or rectangular) + C (polar or rectangular) .. = Resultant

or using the unit vector notation... And for these problems would I have to use the laws of sine and cosine or could I just do it with a vector additon method.

5. Feb 2, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at the second picture here. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vect.html. Relabel R to C. That's the picture you should have. It's a triangle. Now fix the lengths and angles you match what you have. Looks to me like an isosceles triangle with side A=side C and an angle of 70 degrees between then. I would find the other angles just using that the sum of all of angle of a triangle is 180. Etc. Sure use things like the law of sines and law of cosines. You can't just directly use a vector addition method because you aren't given any components to add.

6. Feb 2, 2008 #5
    Ya I always draw triangles just like that

my problem is they only give the magnitude i believe for A and the magnitude for the resultant so how can I know in what direction the triangles should go ?

7. Feb 2, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't have to know that. They are only asking you for the magnitude of B and it's relative angles with the other vectors. You can't know anything about say, the orientation of the triangle. They don't give you enough information to determine that.

8. Feb 2, 2008 #7
    So would I use the same method to solve the other #'s ? Thanks a million Dick.

9. Feb 3, 2008 #8

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Where did the first post go? It just shows dots now... :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?