Solving a Vector Triangle Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation involving a vector triangle at a point on a circular path. The equation can be rearranged and solved using the quadratic formula, taking into account the small approximation of k. The solution may involve multiple uses of the approximation and keeping terms up to k2.
phantomvommand
Homework Statement
See picture below
Relevant Equations
Cosine rule,
Speed vector equation
Screenshot 2021-03-10 at 11.20.08 AM.png

By considering a vector triangle at any point on its circular path, at angle theta from the x -axis,

We can obtain that:
(rw)^2 + (kV)^2 - 2(rw)(kV)cos(90 + theta) = V^2

This can be rearranged to get:
(r thetadot)^2 + (kV)^2 + 2 (r* thetadot)(kV)sin theta = V^2.

I know that I must somehow solve this differential equation in theta, and integrate from theta = 0 to theta = 2pi.

How do I solve this equation?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Fikremariam
Physics news on Phys.org
phantomvommand said:
How do I solve this equation?
You are told k is very small, so you need to make an approximation.
And you know the extra is of order k2, so you know which terms to keep.
I would start by solving the quadratic.

Likes phantomvommand
haruspex said:
You are told k is very small, so you need to make an approximation.
And you know the extra is of order k2, so you know which terms to keep.
I would start by solving the quadratic.
Thank you! I was thinking that the quadratic equation formula couldn’t be applied to solve for thetadot because there is a sintheta*thetadot term. This doesn’t pose a problem I suppose?

phantomvommand said:
Thank you! I was thinking that the quadratic equation formula couldn’t be applied to solve for thetadot because there is a sintheta*thetadot term. This doesn’t pose a problem I suppose?
You can solve the quadratic for ##\dot\theta##, creating a trig term inside a square root. But then you can use the small k approximation to get rid of the square root. You may need to use it again. Just make sure to keep terms up to k2.

Likes phantomvommand

1. What is a vector triangle differential equation?

A vector triangle differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves vectors and is used to model physical systems with multiple forces acting on an object. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving motion and forces.

2. How do you solve a vector triangle differential equation?

To solve a vector triangle differential equation, you must first identify the given vectors and their respective magnitudes and directions. Then, you can use vector addition and trigonometric functions to set up and solve the equation. It is important to draw a diagram and label all given and unknown vectors to help visualize the problem.

3. What are some common applications of vector triangle differential equations?

Vector triangle differential equations are commonly used in physics and engineering to model and solve problems involving motion and forces. They are also used in navigation and robotics to determine the direction and magnitude of forces acting on an object.

4. Can you provide an example of solving a vector triangle differential equation?

Sure, let's say we have a block on a frictionless surface being pulled by two ropes at different angles. We can use vector triangle differential equations to find the acceleration of the block by setting up an equation with the forces acting on the block (tension in the ropes and the weight of the block) and solving for the unknown acceleration vector.

5. Are there any tips for solving vector triangle differential equations?

Yes, it is important to carefully draw a diagram and label all given and unknown vectors. It is also helpful to break down the vectors into their x and y components and use trigonometric functions to find the magnitude and direction of each component. Additionally, it is important to pay attention to units and use vector addition and subtraction to solve the equation.