Drawing a Velocity/Position-Time graph from 2D kinematics.

In summary, the conversation is about drawing a Velocity-Time or Displacement-Time graph for a 2D problem involving an airplane encountering a crosswind. The conversation includes a word problem and two possible approaches for finding the change in velocity: comparing the two north components or comparing the first velocity to the resultant velocity's vertical component.
mHo2

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm having trouble conceptualizing how to draw a Velocity(Or position)-Time Graph where more than One dimension is covered. We haven't really covered this in class, but its giving me trouble.

The concept is:
Acceleration is negative when changing direction(This was stated in one of my assignments, perhaps it was only a 1D graph, which would make sense; however as previously stated it got me thinking about making a Velocity-Time or Displacement-Time graph from a 2D problem)

Homework Equations

Here's a word problem i cooked up.

An airplane is flying at 5m/s N (Ignoring all air resistance) and after two minutes it encounters a crosswind that was going 3m/s 30° E of N for another two minutes(Resultant of 7.75 11.2° E of N)

Show the change in velocity.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought this could perhaps go two ways:

A. Take the 'North' component of the second velocity, and compare the two (so find total distance of the first velocity) and find the vertical components velocity of the second measurement (the change). therefore finding the change in one directional Velocities. (allowing for a graph to be made like a 1D problem)

B. Compare the First velocity (5m/s north) to the resultant velocities vertical component (therefore getting the velocities before and after the change)Thanks for any assistance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bumping

This graph should help you along the way

Attachments

• 1285771688392.jpg
    1285771688392.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 502

1. How do you draw a velocity/position-time graph from 2D kinematics?

To draw a velocity/position-time graph from 2D kinematics, you first need to plot the time on the x-axis and the velocity/position on the y-axis. Then, using the data points from your 2D kinematics equations, plot each point on the graph. Finally, connect the points with a smooth line to create the graph.

2. What is the purpose of drawing a velocity/position-time graph from 2D kinematics?

The purpose of drawing a velocity/position-time graph from 2D kinematics is to visually represent the relationship between velocity/position and time. This graph can help in analyzing the motion of an object and understanding its acceleration, speed, and displacement over time.

3. How do you interpret a velocity/position-time graph from 2D kinematics?

To interpret a velocity/position-time graph from 2D kinematics, you can look at the slope of the line. A positive slope indicates a positive velocity/position, while a negative slope indicates a negative velocity/position. The steepness of the slope also represents the magnitude of the velocity/position. Additionally, the area under the curve represents the displacement or distance traveled by the object.

4. What are the key components of a velocity/position-time graph from 2D kinematics?

The key components of a velocity/position-time graph from 2D kinematics include the x-axis (representing time), the y-axis (representing velocity/position), data points, and a line connecting the data points. The slope and the area under the curve also play a significant role in interpreting the graph.

5. Can a velocity/position-time graph from 2D kinematics be used to calculate acceleration?

Yes, a velocity/position-time graph from 2D kinematics can be used to calculate acceleration. The slope of the graph represents the velocity/position change over time, which is the definition of acceleration. By finding the slope at different points on the graph, you can calculate the acceleration at different times.