Kinematic equations ##\textbf{purely}## from graphs

brotherbobby said:
Every time you throw a ball up, don't you feel that it takes longer to rise than to fall?
No.

brotherbobby said:
But all humans feel that.
Wrong. Simply wrong.

Likes PeterDonis, vanhees71 and boneh3ad
Physics news on Phys.org
Orodruin said:
No.Wrong. Simply wrong.
You were born with exceptional skills.

I did my studies in misconceptions in physics which I would urge you to look into someday. These misconceptions have been verified across cultures and have found to be robust, i.e. resistant to instruction.

We humans are way more similar than we are different. Unless we are prodigies.

brotherbobby said:
misconceptions
I've never had this misconception, never knew anybody who expressed this misconception, and, for a little test, asked a minute ago my wife, who never studied physics, what does her intuition say about it. She said, "The same."

Likes Orodruin
brotherbobby said:

I did my studies in misconceptions in physics which I would urge you to look into someday. These misconceptions have been verified across cultures and have found to be robust, i.e. resistant to instruction.

The problem is you are painting with an incredibly broad brush. Intuition comes from lived experience, not the aether. Some may be more common than others but nothing is universal.

This thread is wild.

Likes Orodruin
Lnewqban said:
The graph goes together with a question to the OP.
Please, see quote of post 29.
It seems that your answer to that question is no.
I mean, what is the point of showing the graph? You obtain the desired equation by combining the definition of average acceleration ##a=\frac{v-v_0}{t}## with the formula ##s=\frac{v_0+v_f}{2}##. None of these are derived from the graph and the last one is something assumed without proof. The fact that the expression #as# happens to be equal to the area under that graph is of no consequence to the derivation.

boneh3ad said:
The problem is you are painting with an incredibly broad brush. Intuition comes from lived experience, not the aether. Some may be more common than others but nothing is universal.

This thread is wild.
When it comes to objects pushed it pulled, falling and rising, sounds, lights, heat... we humans have the same experiences. We all believe heavy objects fall faster than lighter objects intuitively, don't we?

brotherbobby said:

It is one thing to claim that most people have a particular trait. It is another to claim that all do. Please do provide a study showing that everyone suffers from this particular misconception.

As was also already mentioned, intuition is not something you are born with. It is something that is developed by experience and exposure.

brotherbobby said:
We all believe heavy objects fall faster than lighter objects intuitively, don't we?
First of all, no. We don’t all believe that. The case for when we do believe that is in the case with air resistance - where it typically is not a misconception. Very few of us have actual experience with things falling in a vacuum and therefore no intuition about it.

brotherbobby said:
When it comes to objects pushed it pulled, falling and rising, sounds, lights, heat... we humans have the same experiences. We all believe heavy objects fall faster than lighter objects intuitively, don't we?
I'll repeat my position: some misconceptions are more common than others; nothing is universal (well, except death and taxes).

And, to be fair, it's probably really difficult for those of us choosing to post on a physics message board to remember exactly what our intuition told us in our teenage years. But I can definitively say my intuition tells me none of the things you have suggested currently even though you have suggested several times (#35, #37) that we all likely still believe them because this intuition is somehow baked into all humans.

As an aside, I cannot stand the overreliance on graphs for teaching kinematics. It almost inevitably leads to high school students associating velocity with the slope of the ##x##-##t## curve and then the uniform interpretation of derivatives and slopes of something rather than as rates of change more generally. The end result is they often have a fairly myopic view of what derivatives and integrals are and the connection with other physical problems.

Likes Orodruin
Orodruin said:
First of all, no. We don’t all believe that. The case for when we do believe that is in the case with air resistance - where it typically is not a misconception. Very few of us have actual experience with things falling in a vacuum and therefore no intuition about it.
You are quite wrong there.
It is a misconception in the case of air resistance too. And more so.
When a body is thrown vertically up, due to resistance acting down, it takes less time to reach maximum height than when it falls, when resistance acts up. Though our senses are tricked into thinking presicely the opposite - that it takes more time to rise than it takes to fall.

boneh3ad said:
I'll repeat my position: some misconceptions are more common than others; nothing is universal
The age-old misconception - "heavy objects fall faster than lighter objects" - isn't that universal?

brotherbobby said:
You are quite wrong there.
It is a misconception in the case of air resistance too
Please show me the feather that falls at the same rate as a bowling ball in air.

So no, it is not generally a misconception.

brotherbobby said:
When a body is thrown vertically up, due to resistance acting down, it takes less time to reach maximum height than when it falls, when resistance acts up.
Now you are chamging the goal posts. This is not what you were talking about in the previous post. I. The previous post you talked about objects falling, not objects going up and down.

brotherbobby said:
We all believe heavy objects fall faster than lighter objects intuitively
Please stop being disingenuous.

And yiu still have nif backed up your claim that everyone (literally everyone) suffers the misconceptions you are claiming.

brotherbobby said:
The age-old misconception - "heavy objects fall faster than lighter objects" - isn't that universal?

No. Please see above.

The very common misconception is extrapolating it to vacuum.

Even if everyone thought about it like that at some point (which I am not sure is even true), intuition is something that is built on experience and familiarity. Where do you draw the line on how much experience a person may obtain before testing them? Anyone who dropped two fairly heavy - but unequal - objects (such that air resistance is negligible) and actually looked at the result will know the correct result. Is that not allowed? Are the test subjects allowed to go to elementary school? High scool? University?

Orodruin said:
Please stop being disingenuous.
Please don't respond to me if that is what you think am doing.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
brotherbobby said:
Are these "studies" published in peer-reviewed papers?

If not, they are personal theory and are off limits for discussion here.

And in any case, this thread is in the subforum for classical mechanics, not psychology. Your claims seem as dubious to me as they do to other posters, but they're off topic here even if they are correct.

Likes Orodruin
Thread closed for moderation.