Drawing Lewis Diagrams & Chemical Equations with LaTeX

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of LaTex to draw Lewis diagrams, symbols, and chemical equations. The chemfig package can be used to draw chemical structures in LaTex documents, and the mhchem package can be used to write chemical formulas. Overall, there are various ways to incorporate chemical representations using LaTex.
WMDhamnekar
MHB
Hi,

How to draw Lewis diagrams, Lewis symbols , chemical equations in LaTeX?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey @Dhamnekar Winod,

LaTex in general? Or here on MHB?

Either way, we can draw chemical structures with for instance the chemfig package.
Use it in a LaTeX document like this:
Code:
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{chemfig}
\begin{document}
  \chemname{\chemfig{
    C(-OH)(-[2]C-OH)(-[6]C-OH)
  }}{Glycerol}
\end{document}

Embed it in a TikZ picture to show it on MHB:
\begin{tikzpicture}
%preamble \usepackage{chemfig}
\node {
\chemname{\chemfig{
C(-OH)(-[2]C-OH)(-[6]C-OH)
}}{Glycerol}
};
\end{tikzpicture}
Click on the picture to see the LaTeX code.

I haven't tried to draw Lewis diagrams or symbols with it yet, but I expect that chemfig supports that as well.
Of course there are also other LaTeX packages to draw chemical structures.

Regular chemical formulas can be done with the usual MathJAX on MHB.
Or you can put it in an actual LaTeX document by including the mhchem package.
So we can write for instance:
Code:
\ce{O2 + 2H2 -> 2H2O}
Put it between dollars and it shows up like:
$$\ce{O2 + 2H2 -> 2H2O}$$

Or put it in a LaTex document like:
Code:
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[version=4]{mhchem}
\begin{document}
  \ce{O2 + 2H2 -> 2H2O}
\end{document}

Last edited:

Question 1: What is LaTeX and how is it used for drawing Lewis diagrams and chemical equations?

LaTeX is a typesetting software commonly used for creating scientific and technical documents. It can also be used to create high-quality diagrams, including Lewis diagrams and chemical equations. LaTeX uses a coding language to format and display mathematical equations and diagrams, making it a powerful tool for creating accurate and professional-looking diagrams.

Question 2: Can I use LaTeX to draw any type of chemical equation?

Yes, LaTeX can be used to draw a wide range of chemical equations, including simple and complex equations, as well as equations with multiple reaction steps. It also allows for the use of various symbols and subscripts, making it a versatile tool for creating chemical equations.

Question 3: How do I draw a Lewis diagram using LaTeX?

To draw a Lewis diagram using LaTeX, you will need to use the \chemfig command, followed by the atoms and bonds that make up the molecule. You can also use the \lewis command to add lone pairs or formal charges to atoms. It is important to properly format the code and use the correct symbols and syntax to create an accurate diagram.

Question 4: Are there any limitations to drawing diagrams and equations with LaTeX?

While LaTeX is a powerful tool for creating diagrams and equations, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not be the best option for drawing highly complex or large diagrams. Additionally, it may require some time and practice to become comfortable with the coding language and produce accurate diagrams.

Question 5: Can I customize the appearance of my diagrams and equations in LaTeX?

Yes, one of the advantages of using LaTeX is the ability to customize the appearance of your diagrams and equations. You can change the size, color, and style of the lines and symbols, as well as add labels and annotations to your diagrams. This allows for a high level of flexibility and control over the final result.