Drawing the structure of 1,3,5 - trimethylphenol

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 3K views
Sunwoo Bae
Messages
60
Reaction score
4
Homework Statement
Draw the structure of 1,3,5 - trimethylphenol
Relevant Equations
none
1612368249218.png

The picture above is the correct answer, but I do not understand why.
I thought that the OH group on the top has to be prioritized and be numbered 1.
But then, the structure would have to be named 2,4,6-trimethylphenol, not 1,3,5-trimethylphenol.

For example, 4-chloroaniline structure looks this way. From this structure, it seems likes NH2 group on the top did get priority.
1612368161220.png

Can anyone tell me what I am missing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sunwoo Bae said:
Homework Statement:: Draw the structure of 1,3,5 - trimethylphenol
Relevant Equations:: none

View attachment 277372
The picture above is the correct answer, but I do not understand why.
I thought that the OH group on the top has to be prioritized and be numbered 1.
But then, the structure would have to be named 2,4,6-trimethylphenol, not 1,3,5-trimethylphenol.

Agreed. The structure pictured is 2,4,6-trimethylphenol.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesitol

The question is likely in error.