Draytek 2926AC Port Redirection lost when Failover activates

• Thread starter JDD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary, a user is experiencing a problem with their DrayTek Vigor 2926AC router when using a 4G router as the failover WAN. Despite setting up port redirection in the router, when the primary WAN is disabled, the failover WAN activates but the port redirection fails. When the primary WAN is restored, the port redirection also returns. It is unclear if this is a design flaw or if there is a workaround. The user has tried changing the APN settings but the problem persists. They may need to contact their 3G/4G provider for an unrestricted APN.
JDD
I have a DrayTek Vigor 2926AC router that has an Ethernet feed as it's primary WAN and a 4G router (factory default settings + APN) as the Failover WAN.

I also have Port Redirection set up in the DrayTek 2926AC.

When I disable the primary WAN, the failover WAN activates and the internet is restored HOWEVER the Port Redirection fails.

When I restore the primary WAN, the Port Redirection also comes back.

Anyone know if this is a design flaw?

Or does someone have a workaround?

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
JDD said:
I have a DrayTek Vigor 2926AC router that has an Ethernet feed as it's primary WAN and a 4G router (factory default settings + APN) as the Failover WAN.

I also have Port Redirection set up in the DrayTek 2926AC.

When I disable the primary WAN, the failover WAN activates and the internet is restored HOWEVER the Port Redirection fails.

When I restore the primary WAN, the Port Redirection also comes back.

Thanks!
Have you tried posting this question at Stack Overflow? This is a pretty specialized question...

JDD said:

Thanks!

It's not easy to respond with so little informations anyway...

Normally main wan are connected to ISP router that give us an public IP, while your local devices are natted so it's possible to use forward rules to assign IP:port external traffic to an IP:port internal and vicecersa.

Backup wan connections on 3G/4G are in a private cell network so, all connected device sharing a single public IP, so it's impossible to have port redirection.

Same things happen with some ISP that create a single natted zone for many client, so anyone has it's internal unique IP but all with the same public IP.

@ Staff: Mentor

Done.

Thanks.

@Roberto Teso

With some cell carriers you can just change the "APN" settings, and then have NAT / Port forwarding / DMZ .

I did this and still the problem persists.

JDD said:
@Roberto Teso
With some cell carriers you can just change the "APN" settings, and then have NAT / Port forwarding / DMZ .
I did this and still the problem persists.

Yes, but this depend on the 3G/4G provider and/or your contract and this is different nation to nation.

Here, in Italy, personal contract have restricted APN, only professional contract can have an unrestricted APN but not all providers offer this service.

I think it's best to ask to your carrier if they do on demand, cause it's obvious they don't by default.

1. What is the cause of the port redirection being lost when failover activates?

The most common cause of port redirection being lost when failover activates on a Draytek 2926AC router is due to the configuration settings not being properly saved or applied. This can also occur if the router experiences a power outage or a firmware update.

2. How can I prevent the port redirection from being lost during failover on a Draytek 2926AC router?

To prevent the port redirection from being lost during failover on a Draytek 2926AC router, it is important to properly save and apply the configuration settings after making any changes. Additionally, it is recommended to regularly check for firmware updates and perform them during non-peak hours to minimize the risk of configuration loss.

3. Can I manually restore the port redirection after failover on a Draytek 2926AC router?

Yes, it is possible to manually restore the port redirection after failover on a Draytek 2926AC router by accessing the router's web interface and reapplying the configuration settings. It is important to note that this may result in temporary network disruption.

4. Is there a way to automatically restore the port redirection after failover on a Draytek 2926AC router?

Yes, there is an option to enable automatic port redirection restoration after failover on a Draytek 2926AC router. This can be done by going to the router's web interface and navigating to the "System Maintenance" section where the option can be found under the "Configuration Backup/Restore" tab.

5. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to enabling automatic port redirection restoration after failover on a Draytek 2926AC router?

Enabling automatic port redirection restoration may result in temporary network disruption as the router reconfigures itself. Additionally, if there are any errors in the saved configuration settings, they may also be automatically applied, causing potential issues. It is important to regularly check and update the configuration settings to minimize these risks.